Chapter One - This Sucks

Peggy's POV

I stare at my parents in shock. Running their words in my mind, I start to wonder if this is some kind of joke. "We're putting you into an arranged marriage with this nice boy, James." They repeat. My sisters, Angelica and Eliza, are just as shook as I am. 

"Marriage? My goodness, mom, she just turned 18!" Angelica protested, angry. 

"Eliza and Alex got married when they were 18." Our mom smiles.

"This is crazy." I mumble, rubbing my fingers around my temples. "I don't even know this guy!" My dad rolls his eyes. 

"Well, his name is James Reynolds Laurens, he has a high - paying job, he's 26 -" 

"26?!? 8 years older than me!" I protest. How could they do this to me? Why not force him to marry Angelica, she's 22! Or even Eliza, at 20! I just became an adult, this wasn't legal until a week ago!

"We're heading over to the Laurens's house to meet him tomorrow morning, so be ready." My mother snapped in her stern voice. I feel tears fall down my face. 

"This sucks! You guys are the worst!" I cry, running back upstairs. I slam the door to my room, ignoring the gasps from my parents. They can't do this to me, they just can't!

I flop onto my bed, grabbing my phone and scrolling through the pictures. My whole life coming to a halt for this stupid marriage. I start to cry even more, staring down at the screen. I haven't even gone to collage! The worst part? This isn't the first time they tried to do this. The first time was when they tried to get me to marry a dude named Stephan. He turned out to be my distant cousin, so I said "If you're going to force me to marry someone, force me to marry someone who's not related to me." I didn't think they'd take me seriously...

I hear a knock on my door. 

"Peggles? It's me, Angie!" Angelica says. "Can I come in?" I pause. Do I really want to take to anyone right now? Not really, much less Angelica. I sigh. 

"Sure." The door squeaks as she enters, a sad look upon her face. 

"Peggs. I'm so so sorry, our parents are crazy." I laugh a little, surprising even my self. 

"You don't have to apologize for them. They want all their daughters married and I'm the last one..." I grumbled, shoving my face into a pillow. "All I know is this: Tomorrow is going to suck."

John's POV

My older half brother is getting married. That was a mouthful. The thing is, it's arranged. So I don't even have a chance to judge if this lady's good enough for James. I know, usually older brothers judge who's good enough, but I have 2 younger sisters (Martha and Mary) so I get very protective. 

"What's up, loser?" James says jokingly, entering the room.

"Stop it!" I laugh, pulling his hand away from my hair. Older half brother. Long story, but I'll try to spare you the details. My dad got some girl knocked up in college. That was James. She couldn't take care of him, my dad didn't want to, so while they were arguing the girl got hit by a bus and died. Crazy, right? Then, 7 years later, I come along, a few years after my dad married my mom! And here we are.

"So...getting married? When do I get to meet her?" I ask, scooting closer to James. I wonder what she looks like. What if she sucks, what if she's loud and mean and...

"Tomorrow." He smiles, ruffling my hair. 

"Tomorrow?!?" I shout, standing up. That's hardly enough time to come up with all the what - if situations! 

"Calm down, John, I'm sure you'll love her." James laughs calmly. I better love this girl...