Chapter Two - Meeting You

John's POV

I sit on the stairs, nervously awaiting the arrival of Jame's fiance. "Calm down, you'll be fine!" He laughs at me, ruffling my hair. Oh how annoying that is! He's been doing this all morning! 

"I'm allowed to be nervous!" I snap, glaring at him. 

"It's not a big deal!" He starts, but I cut him off. 

"Not a big deal? Not a big deal? I'm meeting your fiance it's a huge deal-" I shout. Just then, the door opens. I quickly adjust my posture to see a family of 5 standing there.

"Oh, h - hi! Welcome!" I smile, staring at the new people. 

"Hello! I am Catherine Schuyler -" The mother begins, but I cut her off. I know this family. "Hi, John!" The second - oldest daughter smiles. She has ivory skin with long, straight black hair. 

"Eliza?" I ask, confused. Of course! My best friend, Alex, was married to her! But who's Jame's marrying? All these girls look a little too young for him. I stare at the oldest girl, assuming her to be my new sister - in - law - to - be.

She has chocolate skin with black eyes and frizzy black hair pinned behind her head. 

"'Sup John." I recognize her as Angelica or Angie. I've seen her a few times hanging around Alex. But to my surprise, James runs up and hugs the youngest girl. She's beautiful: Light Brown skin with black eyes, and curly black hair tied in a long, thick pony - tail. She looks uncomfortable here, only about 18, my age. 

"John, meet my fiance, Peggy!" James smiles.

I almost faint. That's his fiance? She is way to young for him! Peggy, huh. Well Peggy does not look happy to be here. Why would an amazing girl like her want to marry my brother? 

"H - Hello...I'm John!" I smile, holding out a hand for her to shake. She hesitates before taking it. "Peggy..." She mumbles, glaring at her parents. Why was she doing this? Something is very wrong. This girl cannot marry my brother.

Is that just because you like her? A little voice in my head says. What? No! I just met her, plus she's marrying my brother! You've fallen in love quicker before, and didn't you just say you didn't want her to marry your brother? Oh, shut up. 

"Well. I'll leave you and Peggy to get to know each other better. Angelica, Eliza, Mr. and Mrs. Schuyler? Join me in the living room..." James says, pushing Peggy towards me.

Peggy's POV

I hate this. I hate how I have to get to know this random dude who's related to my new fiance. He is kinda cute, and much closer to my age. Maybe I can ask my parents if I could marry him instead. Probably not, the only reason they like James is because he has a high - paying job. I hate how James just ran up and hugged me, like we'd been engaged for months. We haven't even met until today!

"So...tell me about yourself." I say without realizing it. Oh shoot. I stare at the boy as she struggles to come up with an answer. He has tan skin, poofy brown hair and freckles exploding all over his face. 

"Well...I'm John Laurens. You know my half - brother James, Long story. But um...There's nothing really about me..." 

"Then what about your family?" I ask. I want to know as much as possible before marrying into this family.

"Well, there's Martha who's um...problematic. She's 16 and has had 7 pregnancies, 4 of which she got an abortion, 3 of which she had the kids: Jamie, Carson, and Beth. Then there's Mary, she's 12. Mary's kinda perfect. We have Fanny, the adopted one, she experiments on screaming goats-" 

"I'm sorry what?" I laugh, thinking of it. Screaming goats? This family sounds fun! 

"Y - yeah...She's kinda weird. Then there's Henry, he's 13. Nothing weird, except he's super smart."

"Are you smart?" I ask. Wait - that sounded rude. "I - I'm sorry, that was a weird question..." I begin, but he cuts me off. 

"No! No, it's fine...I'm not. I'm not very smart...Tell me about your family, Peggy. I want to know who's marrying my brother." He laughs a little, though nothings funny. I pause, thinking. He told me everything, might as well tell him.

"Well...my sister Angelica got pregnant at 14. She got an abortion and eloped with her baby daddy, John Carter Church, but we just call him Carter. They ran away to France after about a year or two, then came back 3 or so years later. Meanwhile, I think you already know Eliza. She married Alex right at 18 - kinda young, in my opinion..." I stop myself. 

It hits me then, really hits me. I'm getting married at 18. 

"You don't look much older" John comments. I try to rack my brain for an excuse, but come up with nothing. Well, my parents didn't say we had to fake that it was a real marriage. "

I'm not. I'm 18...it's just - nothing..." I can't bring myself to say it. No matter what it takes, I'm going to get out of this marriage! But meanwhile, something even crazier was happening. I was already falling in love...for someone new.