The Hidden City

Athëa walked through the narrow halls of the cooled castle and out in the open, where the dry air and the warm sun met her with punching force. Maletta was right on her heels, asking questions of the fight to come. As many of the other women in their city, Maletta always looked at Athëa's combatant with crushing fascination. Which meant that almost all of the words coming out of her mouth, sounded like the giggle of a little girl.

"Stop your babbling, someone might hear you!" Athëa ordered annoyed while stepping onto the outskirts of the training field. "...or maybe i'll tell that someone", she continued looking ahead with a straight face. Maletta froze in embarrassment and shock, of the possibility that Athëa might reveal her fascination of Wreigh, for a fraction of a second, but continued her gigeling when Athëa turned and winked at her.

The air hang orange and dust filled over the sandy training field. Many spectators had come to see the friendly fight today, as they usually did when Wreigh challenged Athëa to a fight - which had become more and more frequently over the last couple of months.

Maletta removed the coat and shirt of Athëa, revealing the white strips of fabric that had been wrapped tightly around the chest of her slender but strong figure. Athëa wrapped similar fabric around her wrists and knuckles, while studying her opponent, who was already standing ready in the middle of the training field.

Many women had come to see him fight her today. Though she would never share their affection for him, she understood the females fascination of Wreigh.

He was a beautiful man. If you didn't know better, you would think that he was chiseled from stone by Eru himself. His hair was black as the night and though his beard was very short, you almost couldn't see through it because of its thickness. He had darkened skin, witch only made his piercing grey eyes even more piercing. The hot sun made his muscular and tall frame glisten with sweat. He raised his gaze and looked at her smiling.

Just by looking at him you would know that he was a great warrior, and most of his 29 year long life had been spent on training to become smarter, faster and stronger - just like most of his equals in The Hidden City.

Maletta strapped a belt around Athëa's almost bare upper body and placed two daggers in the holsters. She was now ready, wearing similar attire as her opponent; bare upper body, tight trousers, boots and the before agreed weaponry - in this case two daggers. With this attire it was easier to see affliction, since the battle would end at the first draw of blood.

Athëa walked away from where Maletta was standing, towards where the fight would begin, towards Wreigh.

Killaug had been appointed to be the judge of this friendly fight, and now all that stood between Athëa and Wreigh, was Killaug's outstretched hand and the two meters between them.

"Wreigh", Athëa acknowledged, eyes fixed on the man in front of her.

Wreigh laid a hand on his heart and bowed his head: "My Queen".

"You forgot to tie your laces", Athëa said annoyed looking down on Wreigh's right boot.

"It doesn't matter my queen, I will defeat you this time none the less" he responded with a smirk on his lips. Athëa did not react to his arrogance, but gave Killaug a nod to start the fight.

Killaug looked back and forth between the two fighters, but they were looking too intensely at each other and at Killaug's outstretched hand, making it impossible for him to make eye contact with either one of them. With a swift move he raised his hand and hurried a few steps backwards towards the gathered crowd. The fight had begun.

Silence filled the training field as Athëa and Wreigh circled slowly back and forth, while assessing each other. Suddenly Wreigh attacked Athëa with a blade towards her left, and as she swiftly blocked the attack with one dagger, she turned and forced her other dagger back at him.

The two warriors fought each other with the force of lions and the elegance of lovers dancing. They kept coming at each other and blocking each other for a wast amount of time. Before finally Wreigh got an oppening and kicked Athëa hard in the chest, making her fall and land on her back.

As fast as she had fallen she was up on her feet again, running rapidly towards her opponent. He blocked both her blades with ease, but did not see it coming when she with raw force rammed her elbow against his chin.

Wreigh wiped the blood off his chin with the back of his hand. He looked deep in Athëa's eyes with a smirk in the corner of his mouth. He cleared his throat a bit and without notice plunged towards her.

With speed and precision Athëa threw one of her daggers at the ground making sure that it got tangled in the ties of his shoes before embedding itself in the ground. Wreigh tripped and landed hard on his knees with a surprised look on his face. Athëa ran forward and set off on the handle of the dagger in the ground, embedding it further in the soil. Jumping over the kneeling Wreigh, she turned around mid-air and landed behind him.

The dust settled in the training field, revealing to the crowd the couple kneeling on the ground. Athëa's left hand had a firm grip at Wreigh's hair, forcing his head backwards, while the other was holding a dagger to his throat.

They sat still for a moment. Wreigh felt the deep silence, he felt the heaving of Athëa's chest on his back, he felt her heavy breathing on his ear, and he felt the trinkle of a single drop of blood running from his throat and down his chest.

He let go of his twin blades and heard them fall to the ground.

"Maybe next time, when your queen tells you to tie your laces, you'll tie your laces" Athëa whispered in his ear before letting go of her grip and standing up behind him.

The crowd cheered as Athëa walked around her defeated opponent and reached her hand out towards him. He looked up at her and smiled before taking her hand. She smiled back and pulled him up into an acknowledging hug. They both started laughing calmly, patting each other on the back.

"You are getting more and more difficult to defeat" Athëa said while stepping back.

"One day, my Queen, the apprentice will become the master" Wreigh bowed in respect.

"There is no doubt in my mind", she replied smiling, as she turned and walked towards Maletta who was standing ready to redress her. The crowd still cheering.

"For the Queen!", Killaug yelled, making all the men and women bow in respect towards Athëa with a hand on their hearts.

Athëa walked back towards the castle as the training ground behind her got occupied with men and women training and sparring. People running their daily errands and doing their daily chores, while the kids were playing, filled the streets - all of them bowing in respect as she passed by.

"My Queen!" a young mans panicked yell stopped Athëa in her path and made her turn to him. He was running towards her with ripped clothes and dirt on his face.

"What happened, Draim? You should have returned from scouting days ago! We've been worried sick, almost sending a troop out to find you!", Athëa exclaimed as she turned the young man around checking him for severe wounds.

"I'm sorry my queen, I strayed and got lost..." he hesitated. "I met someone I did not expect", Draim apologised, afraid to make eye contact with the queen.

"Who did you meet!?", Athëa answered almost commanding. She pushed up his chin, making him look into her eyes.

But Draim did not answer. Instead he handed her a letter with the words "To the queen of The Hidden City" written on it. Athëa recognised the handwriting.

"Gandalf...", she exhaled looking worried at the young man in front of her.