The Pass above the Mines of Moria

The Fellowship had been walking on the snowy ledges of the Mountains for more than a day now. The night was drawing closer as they found themselves in a stormy blizzard of snow.

Frodo could no longer feel his hands nor his feet. He had climbed onto Boromir's back a few hours ago, not being able to walk in the tall snow anymore.

Since Athëa and Legolas were elves, they didn't fall into the thick snow, and was therefor able to walk on top of it. They paced back and forth the slow moving fellowship, to make sure that no one got left behind.

Gandalf was leading the party, doubting more and more his choice of going over the mountain.

"Gandalf! We should turn around! The hobbits won't survive, if the storm does not pass soon!", Boromir yelled, trying not to make his voice drown out in the loud hissing of the snowy storm.

But Gandalf didn't get a chance to respond, cause suddenly a loud crash of thunder sounded just above them. A rock must have fallen in the storm, cause an avalanche of snow was plummeting towards the edge on which the companions were standing.

They all saw it coming, but had nowhere to shelter themselves from the impact of the snow.

Legolas grabbed Athëa's hand and pushed her against the mountainside, trying to cover her with his body.

The snow crashed and buried the fellowship beneath it.

It was like the entire world stopped. Athëas eyes and ears was covered in snow, blinding her and muffling out the sound of the storm. The only thing indicating that she had not lost her life to the impact, was the movement of Legolas heaving chest on hers. It had all happened so fast. She hadn't even realized that she had placed her arms around him, now holding him as tight as he held her.

Legolas pushed himself a few inches back in the snow, opening his eyes. If they weren't to freeze to death, he would have stayed like this forever, holding her, looking into her beautiful eyes.

Athëa moved her hands to his shoulders, and pushed herself upwards, ducking her head out of the snow. The storm was still crashing against the mountainside and her vision blurred in the blizzard. She crawled atop the snow and gave Legolas a hand helping him to the surface.

Around them the rest of the fellowship had found their way to the surface as well.

"Let's go through the mines! My cousin Balin will give us a kingly welcome", Gimli said, his red beard white with snow.

Gandalf didn't want to go through the mines of Moria, cause he knew that the dwarves had mined to deep and awoken a devil from the deep. But he no longer knew, what would be worse.

"Let the ring bearer decide", Gandalf said.

Frodo looked around at the fellowship. He could not think of anything he wouldn't do to get out of this storm.

"We will go through Moria", he yelled.

And so the fellowship turned around, resuming the day long journey to Hollin, from where they came.

Legolas went to the front of the fellowship, to try and block as much of the wind for Aragorn and Pippin, who was now in the front. But mostly to distance himself from Athëa.

He now knew that he had no control of his feelings towards her anymore, and it scared him. It did not seem that she shared his affection for her, and why would she? She had given herself one single purpose in life, to save Middle Earth. And she had done so since long before Legolas was even born.

The thundering sound of another boulder falling roared above them, and they soon saw it fall over the cliff and down in the middle of the fellowship.

Boromir's feet was swept of the ground, as the boulder landed hard next to him and Frodo. He slipped and they fell over the edge. Atheä dove to catch Boromir's hand, now hanging with most of her torso over the edge of the cliff.

She grabbed the hood of Frodos cape, and threw the small hobbit back to safety. But when she did so, she lost her grip on the ground and she and Boromir plummeted down the side of the Mountain.

Aragorn jumped to try and save them, but it was to late. Hanging over the edge, he could no longer see them through the storm and the distance. He looked up pleadingly at Legolas, hoping that the elf could spot them somewhere down the mountainside. But Legolas closed his eyes and furrowed his brows, not being able to see their lost companions.

The four hobbits lost their last hope of the safety of Boromir and Athëa, as they heard Gandalf say: "We have to continue onwards!"

"You mean to leave them alone and hurt in the snow!?", Legolas exclaimed angrily.

Aragorn walked up to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, before going back to the hobbits and picking up the crying Merry and Pippin. Gandalf passed Legolas and said: "We can be of no help to them anymore, my friend".

Legolas stood for a second, looking over the edge where he had lost Athëa and Boromir to their deaths on the mountainside. He knew they would not have survived the fall, though he could still feel Athëa's presence in his heart.

*********

Thank you soooo much for reading this far, I hope you have enjoyed it!

So ten companions walked up the mountain, but only eight walked back down. Do you think Boromir and Athëa survived the fall? And if so, will they make it off the mountain without killing each other?

I am trying my best to be true to the characters, and would like your inputs on the matter. So please comment :-)

And a vote on the chapter wouldn't be frowned upon either ;-)

Question: What is your favorite scene in The Fellowship of the Ring?

Mine is definitely when Aragorn sends Frodo of on his own, and turns to fight the orcs. But then again I am a sucker for an epic battle :-D

Happy day in Middle Earth to all, and to all a good night!

- nindeanin