Felix's Story: Part Two

Fun fact: On Youtube comments, one commenter was fantasizing about the possibility that Chan and Felix could have secretly known each other in their childhood while in Australia. That comment led to me coming up with some of this backstory and in a way, led to the creation of this entire story. Thank you Youtube commenter :)

     Christopher had been getting ready to go to bed that night when his mom walked in.

     She had a sympathetic look on her face and when she spoke, her words came out delicately. "Chan, honey, I need to tell you something."

     "What is it, mum?" Christopher asked, already getting fearful of the seriousness of her tone.

     "You know that young boy you met two days ago near our house, right?"

     "Oh yeah, Felix. What about him?" Christopher felt relieved to hear that name again. Seeing that police car drive off into the distance had given him a horrible feeling, thinking about how long he was going to be wondering what had happened to Felix.

     "He's going to be staying with us for some time."

     Christopher froze midway into getting into bed. "What?"

     "His mom is in Korea and is unable to come back to Australia yet. She's trying to get a permanent transfer back to Australia but until then, Felix has nowhere to go. I was just on the phone with the office. Your name was the only known relation Felix was able to give to them," his mom said.

     A part of Christopher warmed up at hearing that Felix still remembered him. But then he stopped cold. "Wait- no one to take care of him? But he has his dad-" That's when the realization hit Christopher and his face paled. "No..."

     His mom smiled sadly. "I know it's a hard position I'm putting you in, but be extremely nice to him. I can't even begin to imagine what he's going through."

     "I- I told him everything would be all right," Christopher said, guilt overwhelming him. "I said his dad would come back soon and he believed me!"

     "Chan, no one could have predicted the car accident. You were just doing what anyone would have done in your position," his mom said. "We just need to make sure to go extremely easy on Felix while he's here."

     "It's ok mum, you can count on me," Christopher said. His mom was probably also surprised by the current events. It would be up to him to make Felix feel at home.

     "I know I can," his mom said. "Ok, he will be here by the time you get home from your swim meet."

     The minute he was alone, Christopher laid awake on his bed. He thought about the warm smile on Felix's face, the jokes he cracked, the happiness he emanated all around him, whether it was out of carefreeness or a general love of life. 

     Either way, Christopher couldn't help but wonder what kind of boy he would meet the next day.

     He couldn't focus at his swim meet.

     He felt so unprepared. He knew nothing about grief, nothing about how it was like to lose a loved one. What would he possibly be able to do for Felix?

     Despite what his mom had said, the guilt never left Christopher. Every time he'd come up for air out of the pool, a new thought would occupy his head.

     Why did I reassure you that everything would turn out all right?

     I gave you false hope and look where it's lead.