Development

Kim Seungmin knew something was off the minute he got to school.

     There were whispers all around school and multiple people were crowded around several posters. Seungmin was curious about the posters himself, but he didn't want to bother asking people to let him see.

     Instead of morning classes, his entire grade filed into the auditorium for a "surprise assembly." A loud person on stage animatedly explained what was going on.

     An experiment. Technology. For the "new generation". In all honesty, it sounded like a huge hassle to Seungmin.

     "This project actually began a few days ago but it became such a huge thing, that we had several more schools sign up! So you guys are lucky!" the woman said excitedly.

     As everyone streamed out of the auditorium, nobody felt lucky. There were only complaints. Seungmin could understand why. Reaching out to complete strangers wasn't on anybody's schedule.

     Seungmin slowly opened up his slip of paper. Seeing the number on it, it took everything in him not to groan. He didn't want to attract attention.

     1115.

     Why must life be so cruel? Seungmin remembered that number all too well.

     He had no idea what circus he had been let into when he had gotten a phone notification about a group chat a few days ago. Thank goodness he had gotten out of there, before that error or whatever had taken over the app. 

     But... he was kind of curious about what state the group was in now. Most likely, everyone had left. But there had been some interesting personalities there. Seungmin, as embarrassed as he was to admit, had found himself laughing more than once, reading the conversations in that group chat.

     Thinking about it almost put a smile on his face. Almost. No sooner did the thought came to his mind that Seungmin shoved it away.

     He wasn't about to give in to a random group and worse, actually begin to trust it.

     People are unpredictable. They can put on fake smiles and personalities just like that, and lure the ignorant into their trap. They were to be avoided, not trusted, Seungmin knew that all too well.

     Well, so much for that, now this stupid school experiment was giving Seungmin no choice. He walked home in a gloom. Unable to get it out of his head, he decided to at least reach out to this person, to get it over with. 

     He opened up Messages.

     You have no current contacts.

     Add a new one?

     That status would look so sad to an outsider but to Seungmin, this was normal. 

     Yes.

     It was time to add his first contact. Here goes nothing.