Chapter 37: Surprise

"Was it really necessary to get every single class I have to sing me 'happy birthday'?" I ask once we're at my locker, at the end of the day. He's wearing the most self-satisfied smirk ever.

"Absolutely necessary. Perfectly essential to the continuation of life as we know it."

"I could beg to differ."

He flashes a toothy grin from his position leaning against the locker beside mine. "But you won't, because you know how right I am."

I pause what I'm doing to give him a squinty-eyed glare. He laughs.

"It's my job. Are you really surprised?"

"No, it fits perfectly with your character to publicly embarrass me."

He laughs again. "It's your birthday! It's not even like I had to go out of my way to do it!"

"It's so awkward, though! Everyone was staring at me, and what am I supposed to do? Just sit there?"

"And blush immensely," he adds, and I give him another look. He smirks.

"When's your birthday, then?"

He smirks even more. "During summer vacation."

I scowl. He grins widely, displaying his pearly whites.

"Alright, stop complaining about what a bad person I am and let's go. I'm driving you home."

I lean into him a little as he wraps his arm around my shoulders. "You're a bad person. A very horrible person. You're the worst."

"You sound so convincing."

I roll my eyes and don't respond.

As he's driving me back to my house, he asks, "So, are we still on for tomorrow?"

"I have nothing else, so I would assume so, unless something's changed on your end."

"Do your parents know about it, this time?"

"I'm pretty sure they still think I'm tutoring you. So yes."

"What if I asked them if I could do something with you for your birthday? Like, as your friend. Just in the name of being honest."

"I mean, if you want to." The idea makes me a little nervous. I don't know how they'd react to me doing something non-school related, and after that, they might not let me see him at all unless it was explicitly for an assignment.

He's studying my reaction. "Alright, I won't. It's your birthday."

I grin. "So you would have if it wasn't my birthday?"

He smirks as he pulls up to my house. "Possibly. Now go and have a fantastic birthday celebration with your parents. And don't worry about anything."

I get out of his car, smiling. "Thanks for the ride. And I'll try."

"Good. Happy birthday, Todd. I'll see you tomorrow."

I blush a little. "Thanks. See you."

He flashes me one last toothy smile, then drives off. I go to my front door, for once finding it unlocked. I go inside, dropping my school bag on the stairs and wandering into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" both my parents yell in unison as soon as I enter. I grin as they come over to me, beaming.

"Thanks," I say, trying not to blush for the millionth time today.

"So, how was school? That study friend of yours- the one who drove you to school this morning- he told us he was going to make sure at least one of your classes sang you 'happy birthday' today," my mom tells me.