Chapter 42: Alone

***WARNING: MOOD SWINGS***

I keep the car he gave me at the school parking lot. It's better protected there than it would be at my house, probably- it would essentially be sitting in my driveway, where a) my parents could see it, b) it could get stolen, or c) any other number of things could happen to it. So it's at school, and that seems to work.

I continue to walk to school every morning. On Monday, he's showing off a new car in front of the school. When he sees me, he parks and gets out immediately to walk to English together. On Tuesday, I find him leaning against his already-parked car, wearing sunglasses and doing something on his phone. Or, at least he seems to be, but when he spots me, his phone is completely forgotten and he's got an arm around my shoulder as we go inside the school together.

On Wednesday, he's not there.

Immediately, alarm bells start ringing in my head. I try to calm down, decide that he could just be late.

I enter the school alone, for the first time in what feels like forever. People see me without him at my side, his arm slung around my shoulder, and immediately start whispering. I catch the words 'break up' and 'cheating on him' and numerous other things. I don't even care. The only thing I care about is him. Just late. Just late. Just late.

The first period bell rings, with the seat next to me still painfully empty. Mr. Hawkes looks a little surprised to see me alone, and possibly a little confused, but he doesn't make any move to ask me about it. It's a bit of a relief, because I don't know what I'd say if he did.

English passes at an excruciatingly slow pace. I keep looking at the door, waiting for him to come in. He doesn't. By the time the bell finally rings, signalling the end of first period, there's a pit in my stomach. Please let him be late.

Calculus passes without any sign of him. By now, people have started to notice how desperately I'm glancing at the door every five seconds, and that's somehow twisted into confirmation that we've 'broken up'. More specifically, that he's broken up with me and I'm in denial. It's ridiculous, and I don't have time for it.

Lunch hour finally comes around, and I immediately pull out my phone to text him.

Sent 12:00 PM
Are you okay?

I try to remember if his parents took his phone away the last time he was in a not-the-best mood. Maybe if they did, they'd still pass the message on? Would that make it better or worse?- no, I'm sure they'd only do something if they thought it would make it better. I huff a little, frustrated that I can't do anything right now. Well, maybe there is, but I don't know about it. I press my lips into a thin line and type out another text.

Sent 12:01 PM
If there's anything I can do, just let me know.

I wait all of lunch hour. He doesn't respond.

Maybe it's fine. Maybe he's sleeping. Maybe he's sick. Maybe he has a migraine. Maybe he's sick, has a migraine, and is currently sleeping. Maybe-

Biology is the slowest class of the day. He's not in it, so I wouldn't actually know if he did show up to school. Though, regardless of the reason for his absence, it's doubtful that would happen at this point.

Still. Biology takes forever. And I'm hardly even paying attention to Mrs. Lawrence. It doesn't matter, I can study and learn everything later. I'm just so worried about him. I hope he's okay. I hope...

Physics is a bit of a relief, because at least I'll know if he shows up. Though, even if he could come to school for physics, it's unlikely. It's fourth period- the drive wouldn't even be worth it. I don't stop looking at the door, though, because I can't stop thinking about him and worrying about him and even if I try to at least pretend I'm listening to Ms. Jenson, my gaze goes right back to the door less than ten seconds later. I hope he's okay. I hope he's taking care of himself, his parents are taking care of him. I hope he doesn't feel alone. I hope-