Chapter 46: Rain

I get outside and close the door behind me, finally gasping for air.

I can still hear the echoes of the suffocating silence, of the basement door slamming behind me. I can still see him on the back of my eyelids, standing across from me, crying stoically, and his parents' wide eyed stare as I ran out of the basement and out of the house.

It's easier to be out here. It's raining. The gentle noise of raindrops falling on the ground starts to drown out the echoes, and wash the tears off my cheeks- or at least disguise them.

I shouldn't drive until I've calmed down. I don't want to stay here, though, where either he or his parents could come outside at any second. But...

Without my permission, my gaze wanders to the car. Thank goodness I was driving (I like having the top up, while I drive. Less worrying about something flying out of the car) because otherwise it would be filling up with rainwater now. Heck, I won't be able to drive. It's not even my car.

But he's always insisted that it isn't his, either. He says he has enough cars, and he wants me to have it. I can't look at it as mine, though. He bought it. It's too much to accept, to claim.

He does that a lot. Gives me things that I can't accept. Like the money, the car...

Because he cares about me? Not because he wants something from me?

I can't think about this, not right now.

But I also don't think I'll be able to not think about it.

So, was he saying that he hadn't been thinking of what we have the same way as all the other 'friends' he's had? I mean, I'm not stupid. I've always thought he treated me differently. But I just thought it was because he wanted something from me. But... it's not?

It's so weird to think about. That he would like me enough as a person to do everything he's done. I'm nothing special. I'm not particularly attractive, I'm too much of a nerd. I'm not particularly charismatic, or really particularly anything. I'm just kind of anxious, and I study a lot, and I don't break rules.

But, after hanging out with him a lot... I didn't worry as much, or study a lot. I definitely became a lot more sarcastic. And, actually, now that I think about it, I can't see myself having stood up to my parents the way I did when they wanted to implement the studying rule before I became friends with him. I would never have talked to my parents that way, before.

Is that what he meant, that one time? When he said how incredible it was to watch me live?

I know he's not shallow. He's one of the deepest people I know. Not that I know many people. He was right about that part, but... it still hurt. To hear him say it like that.

I did study, before I met him, for my parents' approval. It was the only way I could get it. And I never reached out for friends, because... well, I guess it never crossed my mind. It's not like anyone else wanted to be friends with me. And it was always kind of an unspoken thing between me and my parents that I'd study in all my free time, so it's not like I really had time for friends. But I never thought my parents would react to me having friends by giving me a studying ultimatum like that- and it wasn't even an ultimatum to begin with, it was just a rule. Something they expected me to automatically obey.

I guess they got what they wanted anyways, though. He was right about that, too. I'm essentially studying as much as they wanted me to. I'm hanging out with him a lot less. It's not like any of it is even necessary, though. My marks never wavered, not once. So I'm essentially pushing him away for no reason.

And... even if my grades did drop, what would they do? I couldn't see them kicking me out, no way. Even if they are a little overly harsh sometimes, they do it because they want me to have a better life than theirs. Which is fair. They do work a lot to keep us above the poverty line. And I mean, even if they did kick me out...

He'd be there for me. Of course, I wouldn't want to be dependent on him, but he'd be there. He'd never abandon me if he could do anything to help. He's very spontaneous and reckless by nature, but he's also loyal and trustworthy. He'd never leave me on the streets. Never. He's already been thinking about this, if the list of potential solutions he rattled off to me is any indication. And it also sounded like he was trying to be considerate of what I'd actually accept, since his first option was helping me get a job so I could be self-sufficient. I wouldn't sell the car, because it's definitely not mine. And...

I blush a little as I remember his third option, and it's hard not to smile. Past the sheer absurdity of that idea- getting married so I could claim his half his wealth if anything happened, and then move out- it's hard to convince myself that he'd actually refuse the idea. He'd do it, if I agreed. There'd probably be a lot of smirking involved, but he would. And the fact that he'd be willing to just give me half of his fortune...

My chest is aching again, but for a different reason. He's so generous. And he cares about me so much. It seems obvious now. And I know I won't be able to leave his house (ignoring that I won't be able to bring myself to drive away in his car) until this is resolved. I feel so stupid. He had every right to say the things he said- I was projecting all my insecurities and even prejudices against money onto him, and that wasn't fair. I should have just talked to him, I should have given him the benefit of the doubt and trusted him. And I will, if he'll give me another chance.

I take a deep breath, feeling a lot lighter already, and I'm about to go back inside (or knock, or something- what's the most polite? Probably knocking) when the knob turns by itself and the door opens just a bit before stopping.

"Where do you think I'm going?!" It's his voice. My heart jumps.

"Are you sure you should be driving right n-"

"I don't care! I'm going!"

The door opens, and he stops.

Sorry, this chapter is a bit short (on account of the last one being a bit long). Thoughts on the chapter? What do you think of Todd coming to terms with the millionaire actually caring about him? Do you think the millionaire will give him another chance? And with four chapters left, will they finally kiss? Let me know!

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider giving voting or commenting! Thank you so much for reading!