Chapter 33

"Where are you going?" he asked days later, watching as she sidestepped him to continue toward the front door of her room.

"I'll train by myself," she stated.

Jianjun's arm shot out, his hand grasping her wrist tightly as he swung her to face him.

"Unhand me," she ordered in frosty tone.

"It's late, you should be sleeping."

"So your friend Gu can kill me? Or did he send you to do it?" she asked with a raised brow.  The jerk of her arm did nothing to dislodge his grip.

"You killed three of his best trained men!" he grated out.

"They mocked me! They laughed when I offered to help train them. I merely demonstrated my abilities," she stated.

"Yes, and now everyone is terrified of you. Can you not just be normal?"

"Define normal."

"Oh, I don't know...someone that has at least some shred of control," he sneered.

"I was only pointing out their deficiencies. They are stronger, but slow and stupid. Small, fast and smart will win every time."

"So you pointed out their shortcomings for their own benefit right before you sliced their necks open," he said with a slowly shaking head.

"I can't help it. These are truly bad people. I don't like the way they look at me. I don't like the way they talk to me. How did you find so many of them?" she asked.

"You have no idea how many discontented people exist. There are more every day," he answered.

"You know? I thought you were manipulating them when I first came here, but they do this for themselves, I realize. What I don't know is what you've promised them," she stated as her other hand pried his fingers from her wrist.

"They do this for a better life."

"A better life? What is a better life for a criminal? Freedom to do as they please? Harassing the innocent for their own personal gain? You will give them a lawless society..." she trailed off before her eyes became fierce on his.

"No. There is more. Criminals are notoriously selfish. You have promised them something in payment, have you not?"

"Only a share of the riches from the conquered Realms," he stated.

"Wrong. These men. They are not that patient. How do you keep them?"

"Loyalty."

The simple word caused a bark of laughter to erupt from her. 

"A loyal criminal! What a novel concept. I had no idea something like that even existed," she said with a tilt of her head. "You lie, but I will not press you," she said before turning to walk toward the door.

"Stay away from the encampments!" he yelled out after her.

Her eyes gave a quick, sarcastic roll as she stepped down to the packed dirt below. 

*****

She skirted another large gathering of men around a blazing fire, moving like a ghost through the thick trees. Their loud talk and boisterous laughter caused her eyes to narrow in disgust.

"She kills our brothers! We'll show that witch," one man stated, causing her to stop and press behind a trunk.

"We'll take turns with her and string her up when we're done!" another added, causing more laughter and shouts of agreement.