Chapter 38

"Where are you?" she breathed out as she passed over what appeared to be a rickety bridge connecting the mainland to a small outcropping full of dead trees.

"Maybe there is no one in this Realm that needs assistance?" she asked herself with a shrug.

A charming cottage was situated to one side of the small parcel of land, a woman busy sweeping the small porch in front of it. She approached the older woman slowly, her attire the same as many of the women wandering along the walkway earlier.

"How about you?" she asked, reaching out to find no connection before her arm dropped to her side. She watched as the woman ceased her sweeping, her concerned face turning toward the copse of gnarled trees on the other side of the parcel, as her own eyes followed.

A man and woman sat beneath one of the trees, his robes accented in bright red, her muted green gown splayed out on the ground surrounding her.

She approached slowly, a certain pull attracting her suddenly.

"Finally, she breathed out, trying to determine if the pull was coming from the man or the woman as she neared.

Definitely the woman. She was lovely and serene, but the expression on her face seemed almost tortured.

"Hmm. What has you so pained, Lady?" she whispered to herself as she crouched down next to the pair.

"I don't know what to do for him," the woman stated softly.

"I don't know that there is anything any of us can do," the man answered.

"It's been five hundred years. She's never coming back, is she?" the woman asked.

"I...don't think so. The last time she died, she was only gone for twenty. I have tried to convince him, but...he is still inconsolable. I still hold out hope too, I must admit," the man added. "She was my friend and I miss her terribly."

"The Palace is almost finished," she said. "It has kept him occupied for so many years, but after it's completion, what do you suppose he will do?" she asked softly.

"I don't know. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but I imagine he will be even more distraught if she never comes back to see what he has recreated for her."

"Dan Zhu..." she started after a moment. "Do you think...I mean, that is...do you think he could possibly love again?"

The man turned his face toward her, a sincere expression on his face. "You still love him."

"Always. But seeing him like this...I just don't think there is a place in his heart for anyone other than Annchi."

How sad, she thought. She is in love with a man obsessed with a dead woman.

"As long as there is even the slightest hint of hope, he will hold onto her," he stated. "I'm sorry Kuanglu."

*****

"So this is the object of your affection," she said as she stood next to the woman. He must be very important in this Realm, she thought as she viewed him seated behind a table at the top of the steps.

"Your Majesty," she said quietly with a bow.

"What is it?" he asked in an almost dismissive tone as he viewed a scroll before him.

"You have several visitors," she stated cautiously.

"Tell them I'm busy," he muttered absently.

"I have told them that for the past three days," Kuanglu answered sheepishly.