Chapter 5

As soon as she jumped to the other side of the bridge, she kicked her slippers off, feeling the soft, thick grass beneath her feet as she trudged to her small home. 

How different this land looked now, she thought, proud of the large patches of greenery surrounding her and the improvements to the structure.  

She had used the wood, nails and tools to build a small irrigation system, a diverted stream for bathing and another for laundry. She enlarged one of the windows in the shack to allow more light in. It was quite homey and a far departure from the first time she saw it.

A small fire pit was built from the stones surrounding her parcel and she used it for cooking, sometimes using the wood scraps to build a fire at night.

They still hadn't found another location to store supplies, but early every morning, she would set out the supplies needed for the day next to the bridge, keeping at least some privacy. 

She stepped into the home, placing the basket on one of the empty shelves before grabbing a peach and taking a bite from it. She fully intended to plant the pits from the cherries and peaches and the seeds from the grapes now that the land seemed to be responding well to her care.

She walked back out, chewing the peach as quickly as possible, knowing she was still only half way through her work for the day. She would have to hurry back to finish her chores before the servants returned.

"What is that?"

The sound of a voice behind her caused her to choke, coughing violently to dislodge the chunk from her throat.

She didn't bother turning or wondering at her visitor, her only objective was to try and regain her composure.

Finally, after a few more coughs, she was able to take a normal breath. "Is everyone in this Realm determined to scare the wits out of me? Must everyone appear -" her croaked words died in her throat as she turned and viewed her newest visitor.

He didn't seem the least concerned about her condition, only stood with hands clasped behind him and an arrogant expression on his face.

"What do you want?" she blurted.

"Are you so simple that you have no idea how to greet someone properly? Are you aware that you are required to bow before me?" he asked with a small lift of his chin.

"Why?" she asked automatically.

"Why? Well, the last time I checked, I was the Emperor. Everyone bows to me. Especially the servant to the servants," Runyu responded in a frosty tone.

Her lips quirked to the side before she gave a quick bow.

"No. Not correct. You clasp your hands in front of you and bow like you mean it. I don't know what that was. Any other Master would have slapped your face for your poor display.  Luckily, I don't find you worth the temporary pain to my hand."

Oh, I hate this man... she thought as her lips clamped shut.

"I asked you a question, I recall," he continued.

Her mind struggled to remember before her hand raised.

"This? This is a peach."

"And where did you get this peach?"

"Why do I have the feeling you already know?" she asked, her eyes probing his.

"What did she say to you?" he asked as he stepped forward. She took an involuntary step back.

"She was only inquiring about me and this...situation."

"The Great Floral Fairy, visiting a Realm that she abhors, inquiring about a negligible servant? Of what importance are you to her?" he asked with a tilt to his head.