Asteria's Truth

"Lord Maxwell, I hear you can grant wishes."

He appeared shocked at her sudden arrival, and her armour, but shook it off. "You look familiar, have we met? Of course, I would remember a beautiful face like yours-"

She rolled her eyes.  "Yes, we have met, but that matters not. I have a wish."

"Ah, then you have come to the right place, my dear. What is it you wish for? Wait, wait, I'm sensing it... I can see it... Yes, yes - ah, a broken heart..." She was taken aback - she hadn't known sensing one's wish was part of the stone's power, but it made sense. Drawing out of people their one, true desire.

"Yes - I wish for a love like Diana's."

"Ah, ah, you must be specific. And sure. You only get one wish." He took both of her hands in his.

She was about to pull away, but then remembered  the Latin inscription on the stone's edge Diana had told her about: Place upon the object held...

If Lord Maxwell had indeed become the stone somehow, then in order to grant wishes he had to be touching the person making a wish. So she didn't pull her hands from his grasp, thinking hard, concentrating - how could she phrase this? 

"I wish for the Diana I knew back, the old Diana, the Diana I knew back on Themyscira. I wish for that Diana's love."

"Very well - I grant your wish." He groaned and gripped her hands tighter for a moment, before his grip loosened and she pulled away. His breathing was heavy, and it looked as though he was in quite a bit of discomfort - the power of a god taking over a mortal.   "And from you I take your new friendship." 

It was done.

Finally his breath steadied some.  "I can sense that you are quite the warrior - you know, I could use some extra forces in my security team-" But she was already gone.

-------------------------------------------

It was done. She had made her wish, and her wish had been granted.  Now she would see what happened from here. 

Part of her needed proof, extra proof that these things were really happening, and in the World of Man no less.

But the wishing itself had been all too tempting.

"Aikaterine, there you are!" cried Diana, immediately wrapping the redhead up in a tight hug when she stepped into the apartment. "Oh I was worried! It's becoming chaotic out there."

"I'm fine, but thank you." Aikaterine returned the embrace.  When she tried to pull away, Diana held her there in a very extended hug. This attention was new, but nice.  "Did you discuss what we should do?" she asked when they finally pulled away, looking between Diana and Steve. 

"Uh, no," Steve admitted, running a hand through his hair, looking deeply confused. 

"I know what we need to do-" Diana disappeared down the hall. They heard a door open. 

 "Uh, she's been suddenly acting very distant, talking about you a lot. She was really worried you were lost out there in the chaos," Steve told her. 

"Oh..." Aikat scrunched up her nose in confusion. Diana had been so focused before. Unless...

"Here we are-" Diana emerged from her TV room - a wide closet where she kept multiple screens and radios in order to keep an eye on the city. She emerged baring her shield and sword, as well as Aikaterine's set of weapons. "Suit up, warrior." She tossed the second sword and shield to Aikaterine, who caught them expertly.