5

The train's whistle rattled the whole platform and everything on it, steam pouring from the top and momentarily blanketing the ground. Owls and cats and everything in between loudly rustled anxiously. Voices, child and adult alike, murmured through the air, though their words couldn't be made out.

Wilbur inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of the whole thing. Will sort of loved chaos. He always had, for some reason. But not as much as Techno.

Will's twin would often watch fights break out in the schoolyard between idiot headstrong teenagers (not that Will and Tech weren't exactly that themselves), then describe them in detail to Dad once they got back home. Phil never really cared as long as his sons stayed out of trouble.

Of course, they did anyway, but those were the days Phil didn't get to know about.

Speaking of Techno.

"Where's my brother?" he asked Niki as she came through. The two turned back to watch the wall expectantly, but the pinkette didn't emerge.

Will felt a bubble of anger rising into his chest.

Neither did Dream.

"We don't have time for this," Niki said, frowning, reading his mind.

Right as Will was about to march right back through the portal, Dream and Techno came through, pushing their trolleys along as if nothing had happened.

Maybe nothing had happened.

But Wilbur was still suspicious.

"You alright?" Will asked Techno, dropping an arm over his brother's shoulders. Techno nodded, but his face was a pink that nearly matched his hair. He frowned, concerned.

So maybe Wilbur was a bit clingy, a little overprotective. After Argus, though? Will's face darkened at the memory. He did not intend to let his twin out of his sight (or at least protection) for the year.

"I'm good," Techno mumbled after a couple conductors took their bags, the twins walking over to join their friends and family. Will looked at him sideways.

"Uh-huh..."

"I'm serious. I'm okay." The pinkette rolled his shoulders back and glanced at his twin confidently. But Will knew Techno well enough, and could see through his act.

"Tech, lis-"

"Guys, we gotta board." Dream jogged up to them, everyone else shifting expectantly behind him.

"Yeah." Will stared after Techno as he and Dream walked back over, hands brushing and-

Hands brushing?

Oh, hell no.

Phil pulled him into a hug before he could go after them, squeezing him tightly.

"I'm gonna miss you," he said into Will's hair. Will reached out and pulled Tommy into their hug.

"Me too," Will agreed, and something like anxiety and sorrow pinged in his chest. He'd be gone for a full year.

"You'll be fine," Phil reassured him, seemingly reading his mind. People seemed to be good at that.

"I'll have Techno. And Niki," Will agreed. Phil nodded and patted his shoulder. "And in a couple years," he continued, "you'll be there with me." The brunette ruffled his little brother's hair affectionately. Tommy giggled, and Wilbur turned to Toby and Fundy.

"You two will be good for Phil and your parents?" he said, pulling them in for hugs too.

"Yeah," Fundy said sadly into Will's shoulder. Toby sniffled from the other one.

"You'll come to school soon; don't worry about it." Will gently pushed them away and grinned. "I'll miss you guys!"

He hopped on the train right as the doors were closing, pacing after his friends who were disappearing down the hallway, staring out the windows as long as possible.

Wilbur had friends. Even his brother. But still.

This... was going to be a long year.

I hate myself. This is so FUCKING short, but I have a plan for next chapter. Techno POV again! Pog. But yeah I HAVE PLANS IN ADVANCE SO I CAN DO THIS YES also: next chapter will be out way soon.
SHOUTOUTS TO @HeyCutiehere and @Cactusgirl26 for amazing books; go check their stuff out!
TYSM FOR THE READS OKAY BYE! <3