Chapter 5 - Aaron

Aaron opens his eyes and yawns, and immediately reaches over for his phone.

12:30 P.M. Shit.

He couldn't remember the last time had he slept in, but surprisingly, he didn't have a single missed call. Mars and Tom must have let him sleep in, for once. His head was pounding, he must be hungover.

He suddenly got flashbacks from last night's festivities.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

After the victory party, he remembered that everyone in the President's inner circle retired back to the White House, and had a few drinks. And by a few, he meant, he got drunk.

Emily never showed up, and at one point, he had drunk-dialed Isabel, who declined his call. He suddenly felt a wave of guilt in his stomach and he immediately texts Isabel.

"Hey, sorry about the call last night. I may have been a little intoxicated. I heard what you said, loud and clear, and I will respect it. We both need to move on, it won't happen again."

He decides to text Seth.

"I just woke up. Apparently hung over too. Tell Tom I'm sincerely so sorry."

Seth instantly replies,

"Don't sweat it, POTUS understands the last few weeks were impossible. Take the day, we've got it covered over here. Have you heard from Em?"

Aaron replies,

"No, I haven't. I'll check in with her."

Another reply pops up from Seth,

"Thanks, man. Keep me updated. Got a briefing with the press pool."

Before getting out of bed, Aaron shoots Emily a text,

"Em, we're all pretty worried over here. What's going on? Are you okay?"
Aaron takes a final stretch in bed and gets up, trying to figure out how to spend his day off.

-

He goes on a run, dressed in the most laid-back clothes he owned, with a hat and sunglasses, fearing to be recognized, as the Vice President-Elect of the United States. God, he hadn't been on an outdoor run in so long.

It was refreshing. As refreshing as D.C. could get.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he sees Emily walk into the FBI building.

At least he knew she was alive and well. Maybe just alive.

She looks around cautiously before entering, as if she were being watched and followed.

What the fuck?