Chapter 7 - Aaron

Emily walks towards him, and shakes her head.

"Not here, can we go somewhere else?"

Aaron looks at her in confusion, but knew this had to be incredibly important.

"Yeah, let's go to my place, I have the day off."

The idea of going to Aaron's apartment felt a little criminal to Emily, knowing that Isabel had just moved out recently, and she was definitely part to blame, but it was better than going to her place, where her late mother's bed still occupied the main living space, and going to a coffee shop was just too risky.

Oh god, her mother. She still had a funeral to plan, and all the details of her care to sort out.

She looks over at Aaron, through his sunglasses,

"So someone blacked out last night..."

Aaron rubs his temples,

"I really look that bad? I definitely lost control of all care at the Residence last night after everything."

Emily silently responds,

"Hmm."

Aaron doesn't even know the half of it yet. Dear Lord.

"So, where did you go? You didn't show up to the after party, everyone was worried."

"Yeah, I could tell, by the 1000 messages I got from you, Seth and POTUS. I just had to get out of there."

"Why?" Aaron asked as they walked up to his apartment door.

They get inside, and Aaron walks towards his kitchen, grabbing water for the both of them.

Emily looks around, she had never been to Aaron's apartment.

She looks at him, takes a deep breath, and says, "Aaron, you should sit down."

He grabs the cups of water, and sits down at one of the kitchen island chairs, across from Emily.

She begins to tell him exactly everything that had gone down with Lorraine, leading up to her explanation of why she was at the FBI today.

"Oh shit, Em, I had absolutely no idea, and I can understand why you feel that way about POTUS right now. He's gotta make it right. This is so fucked up, and I can't believe this was all going on."

"Yeah, I couldn't really say anything, under legal advisement, until I was cleared by the FBI."

Aaron looks at her, "so, what's next? Are you coming back to the White House? You know POTUS would have you back immediately."

Emily sighs, "I have no idea. Right now, I just need to take some time, figure out how the next steps with my mom's property and existence."

Aaron looks at her sadly, "Jesus, Em, I am so, so sorry, please let me know how I can help."

Emily pulls herself together, with the tiniest smile, and asks, "so, what about you? Is it going to be weird working with Isabel? She told me you two broke up." Emily immediately regretted asking, knowing that she had just opened a can of worms that she shouldn't have opened.

"Wait, you spoke to Isabel?" Aaron looks confused.

Emily sighs, "Last night, yes, is it really over for good? I keep blaming myself for being a home wrecker through all of this."

"Yeah, it is, and it has been a long time coming. Don't blame yourself. It just didn't work out. Is she okay?"

Emily pauses, and says, "she's strong. Give her some time, but you should really talk to her. I can't say anything more than that."

Aaron looks confused, and slightly frustrated, "what? I'm calling her right now."

"Aaron, no, she needs time. That's all anyone's asking for is time. Don't overwhelm her more than she is already. She'll talk to you when she's ready."

Emily stands up, "I'm gonna head home, and sort out my mom's situation."

Aaron pulls her into a hug, "do you need me to come with you? Let me help, Em."

"No, it's okay Aaron, I've got this," Emily whispers, still in Aaron's embrace.

"You always do, Emily Rhodes," Aaron whispered back.

Emily slowly pulls away, and they both look at each other, breathing. Emily shakes her head, grabs her bag, and heads out.

Aaron knew at that moment, that his feelings for Emily would never go away.