Chapter 1

A stone head ax came down on a two-inch-thick vine. The blunt nature of the roughly made tool paired with the weak strength of the one wielding it resulted in many attempts before the vine had finally snapped in half.

The arm that wielded the ax dropped, sweat trickled down from sore, tired shoulders and ragged breaths rushed through chapped lips.

The young man, a boy, resembling 13 years of age stumbled on aching feet into the reveled pasture, leading a group of 16 behind him.

One of the group members, an older man, placed an encouraging hand on one of the boy's hanging shoulders. His lips remained shut in a straight line, but the smile of his eyes was not missed by the exhausted boy.

A sense of pride straightened his back and squared his shoulders. The fatigue that plagued his weakened framed seemingly vanished for a few seconds before it returned again, buckling in his thin knees.

The other men in the group let out a few chuckles at his expense.

Meanwhile, as the men unloaded and rested in the shade. The women began setting up camp.

An old woman with wild copper hair and a hunch took to exploring the enclosure, drawing marks with a broken branch on the ground which would aid in the organization of their camp.

A pair of dark skin twins ran around, collecting dry sticks and round stones. Three young women began taking out portions of jerky, bunches of dried fruits, and bamboo shoots of water. Distributing them to the members of their exhausted group.

The sun had long ventured past the highest point in the sky, and a few stale pieces of dried meat, dehydrated berries, and a half-liter of water were their first meal of the day.

Two older women, one whose belly was swollen with life and another with a toddler clinging to her back, sat on the ground. One shifting through an old sheepskin book while the other made marks on a worn leather map.

"Rest up, today we familiarize ourselves with the area, tomorrow we hunt" The old man declared as he accepted his meal. His order was confirmed with a few nodding heads from the younger men, their meal had only just entered their hands before it was already swallowed down.

"Can I come too Jay?" The youngest, the apparent 13-year-old Tony questioned. His eyes round and sullen shone with hope and excitement as he placed his request to the oldest male of their group.

Jay shook his head "Not this time kid." He responded.

Tony was somewhat disappointed but more annoyed as he nodded obediently and bowed his head. Putting all his concentration into prolonging his tiny meal.

The group of men who had been laughing and chatting amongst themselves became quiet as they took note of the child's displeasure.

"Don't make that face T" A pale skin red headed man spoke up. "Just wait until we settle down, then you go hunting so often you'll get sick of it. " He grinned, attempting to cheer up the boy to no avail.

"Pete's right little man" A larger bearded man began, his long arm stretched across the distance as he placed a piece of jerky in the sulking boy's bowl. . "Eat more, you'll have to get some meat on them bones. Wouldn't want a doe to mistake you for her fawn." The chocolate skinned man finished with a deep and heavy laugh.

"I ain't that little" Tony protested, his dark mood rising with his head as he glared at the now teasing men.

But despite his protest, the jerky was placed between sharp canines and was quickly swallowed down after a few bites.