Backstage

March 24, 1988- Denver, Colorado
Nia's POV:
     The concert ended and me and Cierra started making our way to the backstage entrance with a couple of other people. There were maybe only 20 people backstage the tickets were very limited and I'm sure they were expensive too. How Cierra could afford them I will never know.
     We are waiting in line to get a photo with Michael. We only get about 5 minutes with him so we aren't really able to talk much.
"NEXT!" The man in the front shouted signaling for the next person to go up. We were still pretty far back so we might not even get a photo with him. Finally I was next and there were about 5 more people after me including Cierra. I walk up to the set up they have and greet Michael.
"Hi I'm Nia." I surprisingly didn't stutter.

"Hi Nia how did you enjoy the show?" Michael asks while smiling but he doesn't even look at me he's looking at the line of people.

"It was amazing you are very talented." I reply and we both turn around to face the camera. Right as my photo is being printed out someone starts calling for Michael. He's hesitant but quickly grabs a pen and starts writing something on the back of the photo. He passes me the signed photo and takes off towards the exit.
     Everyone starts walking back out to leave but as I'm walking I start reading what he wrote.

        "Nia, I have to go now but I need your help with something. Here's my number (***)***-**** give me a call in about 4 hours."
                                               -Michael Jackson

     I look up to Cierra with my eyes wide open not believing he gave me his number. She just looks at me trying to figure out what is wrong with me. She try's talking to me but I can't process what she's saying I just keep reading the message over and over again trying to figure out what he would need my help with.
     We make it to the car and hop inside. Right before I start the ignition I turn over and see Cierra staring at me like I had something in my teeth.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask with my eyebrows raised.

"Why won't you let me see what he wrote? Every time I try reading it you move it out of me view." She looks me dead in the eyes and I just look down at my hands. I don't wanna tell her that he gave me his number at least not right now. I want to know what he wants first before I tell her anything.

"It's nothing important he just autographed it." I lie to her. Of course she knows I'm lying she knows me better than I know myself.

"Mhmm if that's what you say." She rolls her eyes but I know she's not mad she's just trying to make me feel bad for not telling her.
     The rest of the way home is quiet with the exception of the radio. Giving You the Best That I Got by Anita Baker starts playing. I reach over and turn it up as much as I can. Cierra and I start singing it at the top of our lungs. Is our favorite song at the moment it's just so fun to sing and it's a good song. We continue singing the rest of the way home without giving a shit if people thought we were drunk or on something.
     We make it to my apartment and walk inside while taking our shoes off. Once inside we just plop down on the couch and start rubbing our feet. We were standing for so long our feet felt like they were going to fall off.
     I finally get up and walk to the kitchen to make something to eat.

"Are you hungry?" I shout from the kitchen.

"Umm depends on what you're going to make." She shouts back looking up from the couch. Cierra is a very picky eater she hates practically everything but pizza.

"I can put a pizza in the oven?" I suggest knowing my best friend way too well.

"Yeah that sounds good. Can you also get me a glass of lemonade please." She asks giving me her puppy eyes knowing very well she can get it herself. I roll my eyes in a playful way and grab a glass. I fill the glass with ice and next the lemonade my grandma made for me. It's the best lemonade in the world I really need to ask her for the recipe.

"Thank you." She smiles at me while I give her the glass. I walk back to the oven and pop the pizza in. After I set the timer, I walk to the bathroom to take off my makeup. I look in the mirror and gasp at my reflection.

"CIERRA WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME MY MAKEUP WAS SMEARED EVERYWHERE!" I scream looking at myself in the mirror hoping I didn't look like this in the photo with Michael. I haven't even looked at it I was too focused of what he wrote. I grab the photo and let out a breath of relief. I looked fine thank God.
     I look over at the clock in the bathroom once I finish taking all my makeup off and change into a baggy shirt with some baggy basketball shorts. The time reads 11:30. I had about an hour before I had to call Michael.

~~
12:35
     Cierra is passed out on the couch with her hair all over her face. We were watching a movie and she fell asleep 10 minutes into it. I get up and walk to my bedroom so I can call Michael without waking her up. I grab the phone off my nightstand and dial the number he gave me. It rings about five times and than he picks up.

"Hello?" I hear his voice on the other side

"Hey it's Nia. What did you need help with?" I talk into the phone and immediately started freaking out...

                          ________________

      Hey guys I know it's really boring right now but bear with me it will get interesting soon. Thank you everyone who is reading if you have any suggestions to help me improve it will be very appreciated thank you so much. 😊