🍚🍚Hijikata Tōshirō x Reader🍚🍚

FALLEN [II]

I will not retch. I chant the order over and over as the dizzying motion accelerates.

It's so cramped. Or rather, the trunk is cramped. I have to lie completely down to squeeze into the near-steaming space and for the rear hatch to click conspiratorially shut two breaths before the others climb into the vehicle.

Surely, the city folks enjoy inventing torture devices for their own kind, but thanks to it now we're at full speed to where Hijikata-sama is fending.

Harada-niisan said they were dealing with merciless savages, who exploit in turmoils more for their personal gains. But how can I stop my involvement when both my family and my heart are risking their lives to keep mine safe?

According to the scout crew, after Harada-niisan made sure the Jouishishi were up to no evil in the time being, one of his comrades had broken apart from the group to visit a sick grandparent in Oedo Hospital. Or so that was what he'd told them.

We might not be dealing with just savages on wild rummage to hunt down the Shinsengumi's brain.

But rather a traitor from within.

An invisible force thrusts me against the trunk's wall as the car screeches and jerks to a final halt soon after. A collective slam of the doors shakes my stifled world. And then the heat becomes the next extremity.

I kick the hatch open, gasping for better air, and waste no time to tumble out of the wretched place. Hijikata-sama's previous treat churns in my stomach.

Swallowing sour bile, I smooth my spinning head to observe the towering dome-like building that slices between the corner of the park's back-territory.

The garage appears to be no longer in use, abandoned most likely, judging by the decaying facade and rusted metallic entrance. And from the resonating noises howling from within, one can tell it's an empty warehouse only in name for the rebels, again, to exploit.

I make my way toward the entrance, dread making my movement numb. The commotion inside becomes more discernible, close, too close for my untrained self. Yet my feet continue one steady step after another, and I brace myself for a hellish sight.

The first thing I spot is blood, tons of it, barely obscured by the building's shadowy clutches. The unbearable stench of iron spurs my hands to my mouth.

A terrible roar explodes ahead, and just then a man's sent flying straight into my direction.

I scramble out of the way when he smashes against the concrete floor, grunting, and then no longer moves. A bloodied blade clangs beside him.

I stare at the rebel wide-eyed. I've witnessed such gores before back in the country, though only from rare, violent burglary cases. I am still fine. I can move.

With a quaky hand, I pick up the body's fallen blade and continue inside.

Harada-niisan is easiest to recognize, with his bulky frame shielding his enemies from my view. He slices anyone who nears, malice in the arcs of each blade-swings. His comrades are also fending off the rebel group nearby.

But I don't see him.

Hijikata-sama is nowhere around and the end of the garage seems to be just behind the pile of bloody corpses. My heart pounds with a fright I've never felt in my life. I whip my eyes across to search and detect Hijikata-sama's transceiver lying in pieces near the entrance. I nearly choke on air.