🍻🍻Sakata Gintoki x Reader🍻🍻

SANDY EYES (II)

The inn was open as usual. Standing outside of it, three stories high and spanning three buildings wide, you'd be impressed by the facade, refined by meticulous maintenance now and then. Impeccable and decent-looking. But appearances were tools to deceive and exploit.

In the breeze, I summoned my courage in a long, deep breath. Stay calm. Say your motive and then leave in peace. Then, breathing out slowly, I made my way into the building.

The lobby was quiet and clean to my surprise, as if nothing had ever happened, considering what went down yesterday. It was still relatively early, so the lights were left dim. There was a new vase placed atop the counter where the man I refused to sleep with had smashed the old one at my feet. I was wearing a longer robe now to try to hide the bandage around my ankle.

"Marie?"

The clerk, Sana-san, didn't look like she expected to see me again. She stepped around the counter and hurriedly led me aside, away from the main corridor.

"What are you doing here?" Sana-san glanced at the corridor. "If the owner finds out you're here, who knows what he'll do next! You know he's not the type to drop matters easily."

I put my hands on top of hers. Of all the people here, she was the one who I felt cared for me most, even if she couldn't do anything in my defense. "Don't worry, I'm not here for trouble. I only came to get my pay and I'll go."

Sana-san relaxed a bit, but her eyes glistened. "I'm so sorry for not being able to help. It was so wrong." She squeezed my hand. "I'm going to miss you."

I shook my head. "As will I. But knowing how things are handled here, do you think it's a good idea to stay? Maybe—"

"Maybe what? Trying to brainwash my employees to turn against me?"

Sana-san and I startled. The owner was standing at the mouth of the corridor, hands clenched, his gaze fierce on me. "You dare to come back. Sana, throw her out. I have no use for a pawn that refuses to listen. Get out."

Sana-san looked at me, torn. At last, she only stepped back with a downcast face.

"Sana!" The owner tutted. "You. Don't even bother thinking of coming back. As I said, I've no need of a pawn that bites the hand which feeds it. Get out while I still let you."

This is how it's always been. It's fine. Rely and believe in yourself.

"I have no intention of coming back," I said, keeping my voice level. My heart beat fast, but he couldn't know I was still afraid. "I only came back to ask for my payment. Then I will leave at once."

The owner scoffed. "The audacity."

"I worked for it. A full month—"

"You're lucky I let you walk out that door yesterday. Should I call the police here again? You thief."

"You know I didn't steal it!" My voice carried so sharply through the lobby that Sana-san flinched. I knew I was betraying my words, but this had to be said or I could never walk out and be at peace with myself. "You blame me because you're afraid of aggravating that man. Because he's got some status and money—because we work for you, you think you can step over everyone and expect them to be quiet about it forever?"

I mopped the tears away, aware that the other employees were listening in behind the walls. "You're all absurd. We're not pawns at your disposal, not toys for men. You took us in saying it was out of pity, but it was only so you could take advantage of us knowing that we're weak. That we have nobody to rely on. You think you're untouchable with all of your connections. But what's wrong is wrong. I just need to prove it to the world."