♠️Takasugi Shinsuke x Reader♠️

SOMETHING MORE

It was at the peak of the Great Joui War. [1]

The gathering was shrouded by a grimness that even the tension managed to penetrate the still air, the same air that used to shuffle trees and shake the mighty mountains. Clouds hung low over the ancient temple, grey and laden, as if sacredness was within men's grasp.

Known as leaders among men and men among men, the four warriors assemble at a vacant corner of the spacious hall.

The shabby temple nestled in a rolling valley, on a hill overlooking the Bakufu's camps below still recovering from recent attacks. So besides the grunts and painful moans of the wounded Joui soldiers being tended outside the temple, the settlement struck as an ideal place for strategizing campaigns and indulging in certain mind games—that counted on luck as strictly as on wits.

Like Uno.

"Draw four," said Sakata Gintoki, tossing the cards on top of the pile in between the players with a most bored flick of his hand.

"I suppose the winners are settled," added Katsura, who also exposes his cards onto the pile. Another winner.

Sakamoto Tatsuma, the Dragon of Katsurahama, whistled to the cards he held, brows raised over his boisterous-yet-insightful eyes in an expression nothing but impressed. "I guess I got lucky this time," he said good-naturedly, then revealed his round.

Three winners.

Takasugi sat with his legs still crossed, clutching onto the useless numbers and colors of his cards, silent as the forests around them.

"Tsk," Gintoki tutted from across. "Damn amateurs who can't even put up with a good match. Winning against you lot means nothing."

Though he was addressing all of the players, one simply couldn't miss the venomous disdain thrown at only one particular peer, who sat facing him and was now rising to his feet.

"You've lost, Takasugi," said Katsura with his usual composure. "We'll entrust the night vigil to your team."

"Even without that ridiculous game, I'm still planning to keep watch anyway," Takasugi said after dismissing the cards to the floor.

He crossed the hall to the entrance, where the door revealed twilight gradually plaguing the sky in strange, sorrowful hues and reflecting its emotions on each peak of the distant mountains. The enemy's camp was at the east, leaving the west view at least unmarred.

Gintoki's contemptuous voice rang over the area. "Says the sucker who can't win the ridiculous game. Oi, are you two sure we can leave an important scouting task to him? I don't think I can sleep in peace tonight."

"Rest assured, Gintoki," Takasugi said, unprovoked. "The Kiheitai puts our wits into actual battle tactics, not getting worked up on child games for some desperation to win."

He looked at him over his shoulder, and seeing Gintoki's nonchalant face as he picked his nose, he added, "Get on to bed, kiddy. I'll give you a night of fulfilling sleep on my watch."

"Ah?" Gintoki flicked his pinky finger at Sakamoto. "Why don't you come here and I'll show you who's the kiddy?"

"Won't you two leave it at that?" Katsura interrupted with a scowl. "Can you not hold a normal conversation for once? It's getting annoying."