Zelda stared at herself in the full-body mirror for a moment. Her long, golden hair was pulled back by a shining headband as it flowed down to her waist graciously. She picked at the tiny, gold flower clips that were pinned into it randomly. She could barely breathe in her corset that hid beneath her navy and maroon formal dress. She hated dressing up, especially for balls and events like this one. It was the masquerade ball, and everyone from the castle and from foreign royal kingdoms had been invited. She pictured the invite in her head, Arrive with a mask hiding at least the upper half of your face, dressed formally. She rolled her eyes and lifted her arms as maids measured every inch of her.

"How thin did the King say?" A maid asked, circling a piece of measuring tape around Zelda's stomach and unzipping her dress.

"Uh... 4 inches? Or less? I don't remember..." The other maid said, rubbing off any makeup that was out of place. The maid pulled a string on the corset and Zelda's breath hitched as she was forced to be as skinny as possible. She gave a sarcastic laugh.

"So my father gave you a measurement for how thin I have to be?" She asked, giving the maid that was fixing her makeup a look. She looked sympathetic, like she really did feel bad for the Princess. But she sighed and made one last measurement at Zelda's chest before straightening her skirt and walking over to Zelda's dresser. Zelda let her arms fall limply at her sides as she picked up the book she had left on her bed and picked up where she had left off. The book was about a village girl who had fallen madly in love with a village thief, and she was highly invested in it. (lowkey motivated to write something like that in the future) The maid tied a navy mask around her head and pulled at some loose strands of silky hair. The mask sparkled with gold beads and maroon satin edges, but Zelda acted as though she hated it all.

"You may go now," Zelda muttered in an annoyed tone, and the maids nodded and shuffled out of her bedroom, shutting the door behind them. She groaned and threw herself back onto her cushy bed. It felt as though she were trapped. Sure, she was trapped in a beautiful castle, provided with plenty of things, but things had no meaning to Zelda at all. She wanted a life. A proper one, filled with adventure and outings and friendship. But her only friend was her own mind. And she really was getting tired of listening to her mind all the time.

She stood up and walked towards her bedroom door, hovering in front of it for a moment with her hand clenched tightly around the cold handle. She took a deep breath and opened the door, closing it carefully and walking down the royal hallway, paintings of her deceased relatives on the walls. She straightened as she walked by them, as though they were watching her. Making sure she didn't fail, just like everyone else. She could not be a failure. She raised her chin and walked all the way to the ballroom.

The jewel chandelier reflected in all directions, creating sparkles around the room. The floor was a shiny marble, the riser above her head baring two thrones- one for her and one for her father, who already sat in his. His silhouette was large in front of the setting sun that shone through the windows behind him. She furrowed a brow and walked up the curved staircase that lead to the riser. She gracefully sat down next to her father, not making a sound.

"The ball starts in ten minutes' time, Zelda. Are you ready?" He asked, looking straight ahead. She felt an overwhelming rush of anger at the sound of him being so casual. The tension rose as Zelda dug her fingernails into her fists, which lay on the velvet armrests.

"Yes, father. I am ready." She said through gritted teeth, daring to glance at him for a moment. He wore a long, gold and navy robe with a matching mask that failed to cover his white hair and beard that rebelled in all directions. She hoped her face wasn't red with anger and her eyes went back to the ballroom that she looked down upon.