persephone

she paints flowers red when they're wilted into barren snow. white frostbite creeps over the stems and they look like godly ice sculptures. in catharsis, she sighs in the form of silver breath and it dances into the blank sky.

hades looks at her in adoration. his onyx eyes glare in the ruby red light underneath his palace of obsidian. he watches the pomegranate colored blush spread over her dewy skin. he sinks to his knees and touches the frost. from the frost, a black rose sprouts through. spinning in a melancholy way, it reaches toward persephone.

winter touches her heart like hades flower. a symphony of harps plays through her head and she smiles. in this cold land, she feels bliss. away from the glaring sun and the thunder storms that ravage mount olympus. persephone has drank from the chalices filled to the brim of dionysus' wine, and has realized the bitter taste is far too much.

in hades palace, she is not always smiling and not bringing spring. and that is perfectly okay. she smells the black rose and is reminded of licorice and cinnamon. the rosy moon above the river styx, abundant with etched in memories, grins upon the two figures.

hades leans back into the jeweled throne. persephone makes her way up the marbled stairs.

"until next time, dear hades."

the sun touches her skin and the flora blooms once more.