12.

Matheo.

Rejection is a sad thing, it cripples your insides and leaves you begging to be freed from the pain, a lot of times when we're rejected we tend to want to run away from that pain, find a rock to live under, and hope no one will find it and push you out into the world, with no one to turn to rejection may as well be killer to a lot of things but at times it is the push we need to find something better.

More often than not I find myself being grateful that Savage chose me but I was the lucky one, not everyone was going to be as lucky in life as I was and I understood that, it's what made me even more grateful with each passing day. I've always wondered if one could be mended of their broken heart when the one who was meant for them was the one who broke it, how do you deal with being hurt by the person your whole life revolved around, someone you had given everything to and never looked back.

Pain is a real being that coiled in your heart and settled there with the right actions and words, there isn't a cure for it unless you're willing to break out of your shell and look for it, I hoped one of my closest friends who was rather family, found that cure because he needed it more than ever. "How is the remedy going?" Savage mumbled as he placed a kiss on my neck where his mark would be soon enough.

"I'm making it to dad's specifications so it will take some time but it's almost done." I responded whilst I kept on stirring the pot of herbal remedy I was making for Alexis, him showing up at our parent's door with bloodshot eyes and a wolf crying out for help hurt a lot to see, Savage had immediately carried him to our house and placed him in one of the guest rooms, he is yet to speak but that didn't matter, he would be safe here and that's what mattered.

"Is he still asleep?" I questioned my silent alpha who nodded with a lazy stance, he added the last ingredient into the remedy and I waited for it to simmer before pouring it into the mug. "I wonder how all this happened, why would Marquis and Alexis reject each other, they were happy." I mumbled to myself, thoughts churning in my head because I had no idea why any of this happened, why would it even happen.

"Only Alexis can tell us, and it's pretty bad since he left the Hollow Creek to come here, he's exhausted and worn out, it's a miracle he's still standing with the pain he's going through." Savage's response made me even more anxious, who would go through all that just to get away, just to make sure there was distance between them, I truly felt horrible for whatever Alexis was going through.

Was this how it was when you were broken, to be a shell of your former self and to feel absolutely nothing because you've been drained of what you held dear, how many people went through this, and how had my own parents survived, it was horrible and no one should have to go through it, wolves were strong, agile and had all these advantages compared to humans, but they also indeed had weaknesses and one such weakness was their heightened emotions or just their emotions in general, they could drive them to insanity or complete happiness, it was something that always made me anxious and unsettled.

What exactly did Alexis feel when his mate rejected him or when he rejected him, it couldn't have been something blissful if he were this worn out physically and emotionally, he was just trying to be brave when he left home, I now understood that. "Hermosa, my love—." The alpha beside me shook me slightly and I found myself almost spilling the remedy because I was startled. "You're overthinking beautiful and it's not healthy, didn't I forbid it?" He questioned as his thumb pressed against my spine and his whole body finally loomed over me.

"You did." I whispered and he hummed along to my answer. "Don't disobey, when I don't disobey, I know Alexis's situation has made you anxious I can tell but it shouldn't affect you like this, first you'll need to take care of him them when he's ready he'll talk, alright." He asserted and all I could do was nod, of course he was right and I had to listen to him, I just had to wait on Alexis to tell us everything. "Okay, I will do that, you didn't finish dinner, I could make you a fish platter." I offered as a way to appease him, Savage had a way of making you feel completely horrible when he was mad at you and I didn't want that.

"Sounds lovely but we have a guest to attend to, your herbs are ready." He pointed out and I immediately got to work pouring the hot minty liquid into the mug, Savage scrunched up his nose in disgust, wolves and hating green herb remedies, I would never understand and it amused me to no end. I made my way up the stairs toward the guest room Savage had put Alexis in, he looked so peaceful asleep, as I got closer, he stirred awake, his eyes fluttered open and I was glad they no longer looked like a crazed rogue.

"Lexi." I mumbled setting down the tray by the bedside. "Matty." He croaked out, it seemed his throat was sore, what had he gone through. "Don't talk, drink this." I helped him sit up and offered the herbal remedy. "It doesn't taste great but it will help almost instantly." I explained as he took tentative sips of the beverage until he was gulping down more and more of it, I offered more and he drank a second mug, you could see the effect of the herbs along with his wolf healing taking effect almost instantly.

His skin no longer looked as pale and his eyes didn't seem hollow anymore, he seemed more alive. "Thank you, I thought I would never get here." He mused as he laid back down on the bed. "You're here Lexi and you're safe with us, though I will need to call uncle Marquee and tell him you're here, I know you just left." I exclaimed making him chuckle but shake his head in refusal. "Papa and dad know I left, Xander most likely wants to kill our brother but I don't care right now, I just want to be away from all of it." He replied looking at the ocean blue ceiling, though he was trying to be brave I could see the turmoil in his eyes and the tears that promised to spill at any time.

"You don't have to tell us what happened love but we are here for you, and you're welcome to stay for as long as you want, alright?" Savage stated as he stood by the door, he could be compassionate when he wanted and that was one of the things I loved about him, he was the macho, brooding type but he also had a heart that was full of love. "I know, thank you, Savage." Alexis replied with a small smile in gratitude, the almost seven foot wolf nodded and left.

"When you're strong enough you can come down, I will leave your food in the microwave, bathroom is through there and your clothes are already unpacked, Robbie parked your car at my parent's house, so you don't need to worry about anything, just focus on healing." I explained everything whilst I collected my tray, I knew he was hurting and the best way to help him was to give him privacy to sort out his feelings but also the comfort he needed. "Thank you Matty, for everything." He whispered as I stood by the door. "You would do it for me in a heartbeat Lexi, don't worry about it, I'm here for you and so is the brooding alpha." I responded with as much love I could possibly give, he needed it.

I nodded one last time and made my way downstairs, Savage was in the lounge most likely watching football, I wondered why he even bothered with it, my thoughts drifted back to Alexis, I had made sufficient breakthrough with him already, hopefully, tomorrow would be better. A smile graced my lips as I thought about Savage, he always made me feel better, even when he did nothing.

As I made his platter a sticky note drew my attention, filled with hearts and very bad handwriting. "Dinner tomorrow night, you and me, so says the alpha."

+++

LMJ