-14

Chūya woke up with a pounding head and a heavy heart.

Languidly, his hand lifted to his head to assure the safety of his hat, only for him to jolt quite suddenly awake upon finding out the lack of it atop himself. The air of his bedroom was unnervingly cold and unwelcoming, never minding the fact that it was his own bedroom. Although none of it mattered to him; he looked over the bed, hoping against hope that what he thought had been a nightmare and only remained as one.

There were worse cases than the lack of his hat atop his head; that he came to realize when he saw no sign of (y/n) on his bed apart from the lingering ghost of her smell which he immediately missed so much.

His heart reveled achingly at the poignance her leaving had left in it. Soon, it took the dreaded form of the hideous urge to scream such expletives, and the cringe caused by overwhelming misery had him a raging fit.

"Ah, fuck!"

His first decision quite instinctively was to endeavor brisk walking to the bedroom door after nearly toppling as he got up from bed. His gloved had reached and gyred the knob, though before pulling it with force instigated by sheer frustration, his eyes fortunately suspected a post-it pasted in a rush on the surface of the wall. It entailed: you open the door, you lose your hat.

The note was a rough description of what she wanted to imply, but under any circumstances does he not want to risk the possibility of his hat in a detrimental situation. After much deliberation, he opted to touch the screws of the bedroom door and, with subliminal command, ruin the entirety of them in a strength of mad anti-gravity. Fragments of wood and concrete burst rapidly as his foot ensued a harsh kick to the flat of the door. Only when he stepped outside of the bedroom and looked at the exterior doorknob did he realize what (y/n) meant by a threat about his hat; the said accessory hooked itself on the length of the knob, and the other section of it on the wall next to the door, thus assuring the destruction of it had he forced the door open without reconsideration.

He clicked his tongue in contempt. Not long after basking in a heat of frustration, he searched the apartment for the items missing from his pockets ever since the night prior,

only to find his phone submerged in the sink filled to the brim with tap water.

He quickly rushed to it and grabbed the technology out of off-limits area. The uselessness of the gadget was clarified after a few attempts of forcing it to turn on, and with blinded rage he groaned and threw it to the ground, particles of it flying about and some piercing and sticking to the fabric of his dress pants.

Urgently, he walked to the locked room, opening it and immediately going inside without closing the door afterwards. Underneath the table of where the computers were placed was a drawer, and he dragged it open, grabbing a seemingly unused phone from inside. After abrupt taps, he placed the piece beside his tangerine hair-framed ear.

His conscious was a lake, though tranquil, destitute of any sympathy for the lady he had loved with tenderness a time ago. The long strides of ringing he found annoyingly tedious, though after eternal seconds, the receiver answered and spoke,

"Who is this?"

He breathed with restraint, "Anē-san."

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Chūya was acting on her leave already; that (y/n) knew very well.

And from her speculation, he was either going to start a search for her just as what the police was doing or save it for a later date. Since the former was the obvious likelihood, she based her mind on that and thought of three main predictions of his decisions. The first one was that he would search for her alone - this was ideal for her, since an individual search was usually hard as it had not the help of other people who were also ongoing with the search that therefore extends the radar of monitoring.

The second, and much less preferred one, was that he would request and get the help of a selection of people - an organization - which was most likely and forebodingly the Port Mafia. The mafia's infamy was not to be tested nor reckoned with; and with the possibility of encountering it due to the wrath of its executive, her chances of evading their presence was set to a practical zero percent.

The last prediction was perhaps not supposed to be called a prediction: it was the 'what if' section of her mind, saying that at any moment, Chūya would find her now.

She looked at her back.

Nothing. No one.

Paranoia was a developing disease on the very back of her consciousness, yet she didn't allow it to cause the infirmities of her mind. In front of the payphone, she took slow breaths to ease her anxiety, before proceeding to enter the compact booth.

So, it was either to call the police station or the Armed Detective Agency. Both without a doubt could lead her to her unwanted demise as she was already considered a criminal-on-the-run, but had she another choice? All groups intended for saving people were against her after a case she had failed to bring to justice, and additionally had her as an accused suspect. Nevertheless, she should contact either of them if she wanted to be away from Nakahara Chūya, unless there was perhaps an alternative that he'd never expect she would do...

Usui Seiko.

For reasons unclear, Seiko's contact number had always been a numerical composition memorized without intention. Although things between them may be vastly complicated, calling and residing with her would be the least of Chūya's bets. If (y/n) were to expound the reality of what really happened, then Seiko would believe, in spite of several understandable doubts. She was her superior, after all, and she knew Seiko had often aspired to be like her.

It wasn't like Seiko actually supported the fraud that she was the culprit, right?

(Y/n) penetrated a coin (she wouldn't admit she had gotten from Chūya's) to the slit and got the telephone working, typing out Seiko's number with insistence. She would prove her own innocence and everything would revert back to the normality she deserved - the normality without Chūya.