--1

4:45PM, WATANABE RESIDENCES: out came detective (l/n) (y/n) from her car, as always prepared to face the next investigation she was obligated to put an end in. She observed the humidity of the air and the moistness of the ground - most likely due to the rain that had occured a little earlier. Upon seeing a certain individual, one end of her lips tugged up in a loopsided grin.

"Are you once again in need of assistance, Seiko-chan?"

Usui Seiko, hearing the voice of her upperclassman detective, waved in acknowledgement and said, "Senpai, it's not always that I call you."

"Either way, you were asking for help."

(Y/n) sauntered over to Seiko's direction underneath the roof of the victim's - Watanabe Rei - veranda. Only a few distances away and she could already see his body sprawled over the wooden floor. There was no blood present, only the trepidacious face of the man whose irises were covered by his open lids. The sclera, however, was visible. A few inches beside him rested an amount of what she assumed to be nuts, and on the table was a pack of it.

"Watanabe Rei," Seiko started, "a forty-four-year-old man with no legal wife - she died in an accident twelve years ago. Well, he has a mistress who's been with him for about five years now. No children. His profession is a physician and he owns a small pharmaceutical company."

"What are those beside him?" (Y/n) questioned.

"Almonds."

"I see." Her eyes seemed to curve in amusement from the effort of her smile. "Well, this is interesting. Cyanide poisoning, perhaps?"

"That is one of the first few things I've suspected." Seiko replied. "But we have to reject that, because it takes almost two thousand almonds to get the necessary amount for a cyanide poisoning from almonds."

"But he had all the symptoms of cyanide poisoning!" Intervened a lady. She appeared to be distraught, which was proven by the how wide her eyes were. There were also dark circles underneath: potential proof of crying overnight, but over what? "Dizziness, seizure - I saw all of it before I caught him dead! It-- it was atrocious!"

"She's the mistress," Seiko closed in on (y/n) to whisper on her ear, "and from the way she's speaking, I find it hard to believe her."

"Seiko-chan, it's bad to depend on judgment."

"You've been suspecting me, I know it!" The mistress accused. "Y-you should stop that! I didn't do anything!"

"Ma'am, calm down." (Y/n) said, calmly. "We don't have any evidences of having you as the culprit, but being the only one present on the place of crime, it's only second nature for us to treat you as the first suspect. I hope you understand that."

"B-but..!"

"In the mean time, why don't you fancy yourself a conversation with one of the police?" She then smiled so sardonically, it had the mistress wavering underneath her gaze. "I'm sure they would very much want to hear your side of the story."

(Y/n) released a lighthearted laugh at the moment the mistress was seen walking over to the police in accordance to her suggestion. Seiko looked up to her upperclassman, then asked,

"What are you thinking, senpai?"

"It's simply odd how she had the time to research cyanide poisoning symptoms." (Y/n) answered. "Or is that a basic knowledge everyone grew to know?"

"I don't think so."

"Oh, great." Her smile never seemed to leave her face. "Was there any other evidence of cyanide poisoning in his body?"

"We referred to a forensic expert, and we've yet to get the answer."

"It couldn't be helped, then."

(Y/n) went across the yellow plasters creating a border, and looked down on the victim's body non-condescendingly. She observed his face, as if waiting for his eyes to move of all a sudden and return her stare. That was unnerving to imagine, but she supposed there should always be a logical explanation for that.

"Senpai, could this be the something called, 'perfect crime!?'"

"Don't be ridiculous. There is no such thing called a 'perfect crime.'"

She then proceeded to collect all the pieces of almonds on the ground: there were twenty one. She took the almond pack from the table and looked inside. It appeared to be full. Then, she walked out of the crime scene and sat on a chair nearby.

The message on the back of the pack read:

Each package holds 240 almonds handpicked thoroughly with the heartfelt thought of bringing happiness to its buyers!

(Y/n) then scattered all the almonds on the surface of the table, successfully captivating Seiko's attention.

"What are you doing?"

"Help me count all of these, Seiko-chan." (Y/n) said, and Seiko complied, not bothering to question her odd actions.

After roughly thirty minutes of counting each almond inside the pack, and recounting two more times, they ascertained that the pack indeed contained two hundred nineteen of them. Doing a quick mental math and adding twenty one more, she overall achieved the sum of two hundred forty.

"I see." (Y/n) muttered. "Assuming that his death was certainly the result of cyanide poisoning, then it would have been because of his excess intake of almonds. But the amount of almonds in this pack is still complete with the fallen nuts included. So this only means one thing."

She basked in the view of Seiko's awe-strucked face. Seiko continued, "The crime was staged, and the almond pack was only a prop."

(Y/n) nodded in response, then took her leave with the assumption that Seiko was to finish off the rest of the investigation. However, Seiko approached just as she stepped off the veranda.

"Wait, (y/n)-senpai," she called, "you know who the culprit is, don't you?"

"But I'm just assisting, Seiko-chan." (Y/n) remarked. "You're the main investigator. Shouldn't you have the responsibility of knowing who it is?"

"...right."

"Let me spoil you one thing, though." (Y/n) turned and gazed at her with knowing eyes. "The mistress assisted the crime. Make sure to prove her guilty."

▪︎▪︎▪︎

(Y/n) was done for the day, but she supposed a little alcohol would not hurt. So, at about quarter to six in the evening, detective (l/n) (y/n) came out of her car to spend her night hours on a bar not quite known to the public - she preferred it that way. Upon opening the door, her lips formed a loopsided grin, and she sauntered her way over to a certain individual. She took a hold of his hat and situated it atop her own head.

"Good evening, Chūya."