1-Meet Your New Teacher

The school year had just begun. The students were waiting for the ceremony at the great hall. It was Althea's sixth year. She was quite happy to see her best friends Celestia, Agnes and Agnes's brother Bernard. During the holidays they did write, well... draw funny portraits of each other but it was obviously not as fun as being all together. 

With the joy of the reunion, she was also glad to be able to lay eyes on Cygnus Black sitting at the Slytherin dining table again. Althea has been attracted to him since the fourth year, when he made it to the Quidditch team. Though, he never seemed to notice her the way she wanted him to, Althea never gave up hope, because even when Cygnus's closest friends, Abraxas Malfoy and Andrew Snowyowl, were harassing her for being a 'filthy mudblood', Cygnus wouldn't really join them. 

Her friends see it in another way. They think Cygnus is not worth any braincell of Althea's. But she tells them it makes her feel alive, having feelings for someone, other than friends and family.  But she would also cry secretly in the girl's bathroom.

A boy did like her back once, during the third year. But she got too scared and denied her feelings when he opened up to her. Well, they were bit too young, she thought. And she had no idea what they would do about it, if she confessed her feelings. Would they go on a date? But she never had a date before, so she wouldn't know how to act. It was already stressful for her, thinking about having a relationship. 

Even though she loves reading love stories, she can't help but secretly despise couples snuggling in the hallway. Seriously, what is wrong with these people? Are they trying to show off or something? If so, they are not succeeding, because Althea does not envy them at all!

Speaking of despising, just seeing Abraxas Malfoy on the other side of the great hall, next to Cygnus, made her feel irritated.  This arrogant centipede had the ability to annoy her just by his presence. 

"For Merlin's sake, make the sorting ceremony already. I'm starving!" said Agnes frowning.  Celestia responded, "Think they're going to introduce the new DADA Professor first." 

Right, Professor Merrythought got retired at the end of last school year. She was a sweet elderly woman. But her personality was not enough to get Ariadne's all attention at the class.

"That's exciting, actually", said Althea, "It's like opening a birthday gift."

"Yeah, but normally, your old gift doesn't get taken away from you. I mean, I don't think changing teachers will be helpful. Especially when getting ready for N.E.W.T." claimed Celestia.

"Wait, how come you guys simply associated teachers to birthday gifts? Don't know about the other ones but I really thought you liked mine." said Bernard as Professor Dippet got on his feet and everyone went quiet.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts, dear students. Now, before we begin with the sorting ceremony and then our big feast, I am very much pleased to welcome Professor Tom Riddle as our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." he announced, gesturing towards the tall figure entering the hall. 

This young man's appearance was mesmerizing. His pale skin, the smooth waves of his dark hair, the nicely curved cheekbones and every other detail on his face combined were making a stunning man as a result. And as if it wasn't enough, the way he moved was astonishing. He looked so calm but so powerful. 

"I've changed my mind. This new gift is so fine." said Celestia, admiring him along with the other students, especially girls. Althea chuckled at her reaction. "Celia, please tell me you're just trying to be funny", said Bernard.

After finally realizing, Althea thought of telling her friends that it was the famous Tom Marvolo Riddle, one of the most brilliant students ever to attend Hogwarts. But then she figured they were already aware of it.

"Why wasn't he already sitting on the teacher's table before getting announced like everyone else?" Agnes questioned as Professor Riddle walked past by them fast but elegantly observing his new students. For a second his eyes met Althea's, sending shivers down her spine. She really didn't like having such a feeling, especially for a teacher. "I think he's trying to make a big entrance." she said. Something about him didn't feel right. She actually never liked glorious people. And it's not because she envies them, alright?

Agnes waved her hand in front of Celestia's face but there was no response. She was too occupied with watching the new Professor. "Well, if so, he succeeded."

Bernard also didn't seem to like him and the way he enchanted people with his presence, especially Celestia. He sighed and blew in her eyes, which made her flinch and come to herself. 

Right after the sorting ceremony, Althea and her friends dug in the great feast with the first years. They talked as if they were too old, saying things like, "Back then, when we were at your age, everything was easier."

They then went to the Hufflepuff common room and told each other the funny incidents that happened to each of them during the holidays. Althea felt at home while listening to her friends' stories and hearing them laugh.

.

Congratulations! You've unlocked the following images:

(Hufflepuff common room)

(Tom Riddle walking)       -> pick whichever you like ;)  

This is my first time (seriously) trying to write a story. I hope you like it so far! If you have any suggestions or requests, feel free to write to me. I'd actually love to get a feedback. 

btw, English is not my first language so, if you find any grammar mistakes or unclear statements, do tell me.

Oh, and I want to make our main character, Althea, relatable. How do you find her so far?