Chapter I: A Friend For A Daughter

Image: My concept of Aredhel Svardock. (Made in Artbreeder)

While he returned in Akrar, Falkor was feeling a large weight on his chest. He could never imagine that his childhood friend had turned into such a monster. Valkar and Falkor met because of an alliance that their fathers made and since then they became inseparable. They used to participate in raids together and as they grew older, they fought side by side.

It was all great until Valkar met Aredhel and fell deeply in love with her. But unfortunately she didn't feel the same way. He was the person she could rely on and trust the most but she didn't have any romantic feelings for him. Once Valkar introduced Aredhel to Falkor, she caught feelings for him instead and she couldn't bring herself to tell Valkar about their relationship. Same went for Falkor too, he was drowning in remorse every time Valkar talked about how much he loved Aredhel. As the time went by, Aredhel and Falkor's love grew stronger and they decided to get married. But when they announced it to Valkar he got outraged and he couldn't accept it.

"After all the things we've been through together you decided to betray me in the worst way possible! And you? I stood by your side all these years, I dedicated you my whole life and this is how you repay me? I loved you Aredhel! Why did you do this to me?"

"I always knew you loved me! But you don't understand. Valkar, I never loved you like this! You were my best friend and it saddens me a lot that I can't return your feelings but please accept us. I want you to be a part of my life I-"

"Stop!" He interrupted her. "I don't want to hear anything else."

"Valkar please." Falkor tried to grab his shoulder but Valkar slapped his hand.

"I despise you. I don't want to see you in front of me again, none of you." he hissed before running away in tears. It was the second time that he cried in his life, the first was when he learned about his father's death. Falkor stayed behind before falling into the ground on his knees and letting out a heartbreaking cry.

Since that day both Valkar and Falkor continued with their lives. They became Hershirs of their villages and got married. Valkar thought he would fill the gap in his heart by marrying another woman but Aredhel was the only one that he ever loved. But the true reason he did it, was because he wanted a son to take his place after him. Even though they weren't in good terms anymore, Valkar and Falkor occasionally met in councils where they took decisions in common. But now, after this day, Valkar was not only Falkor's enemy, but an upcoming danger for all Vikings.

As Falkor arrived at Akrar he got off his horse and took it to the barn. As soon as he left, a woman approached him running and panting. "S- Sir, your wife-" she stuttered. 

Falkor grabbed her by her shoulders and shouted "What about Aredhel? Is she okay? Answer me!". The woman finally managed to catch her breath before she could speak properly. "Sir your wife, she's giving birth to your child!". Falkor stared at her for a couple of moments before his mind finally process what was happening. He started laughing and tearing joyfully as he rushed towards his house.

As he went inside, Aredhel's loud cries filled his ears, making him feel incapable of easing her immense pain. He walked slowly inside the chamber where Aredhel was giving birth and sat beside her while holding her hand. "I'm very sorry I wasn't here." 

"I'm okay husband. Now, now you're here. Thank you." Aredhel said before letting out a big cry. "There's something wrong, I can feel it."

"My mistress, your baby-" the maiden whispered.

"What is wrong with my baby?! Tell me!" Aredhel shouted at the maiden with a terrified expression drawn in her face. "It's in the wrong position, I don't know If I can save them both my lord." the maiden struggled to say.