Enter Farmer

When the sun rose the next morning, the clouds had parted slightly. I was laying in my scratchy sheets, groggy from the unexpected light shining through. Rubbing my eyes and hopping from the bed onto the brisk wooden floor. During the winter, I usually had to work overtime to keep warm. But today that wasn't fully necessary, I had warmth thawing the frost on my windows.

In past years, from 1880 to this year 1891, in the west and parts of western Europe this innovative thing was gaining popularity.

Called electricity.

Apparently capable of harnessing the power of God. Creating heat and light similar to fire, without the wrath fire held.

I had always been superstitious.

When something in life seemed lucky or I was brought misfortune. I credited it to God, or our local folklore.

Rusalka.

We always knew they existed I suppose. Luring people from the town into the lake, only to drown and eat them later. Some say they were benevolent. Helping us water our crops or bless us with fresh water. I believe this. I think they were kind. But I also know they were murderers.

I am a heavily religious man, which in my eyes meant that being a murderer meant having no redemption. Making these creatures very twisted and dangerous. If I had ever come in contact with one. Even if she was kind who had repented. Would still be marked a sinner.

Anyways, nothing worth worrying about. Since rusalka were so inconspicuous they were hard to tell apart from people. This led to several executions over the past weeks for people acting strangely. Like, visiting the lake too many times in a month, or being noted for drinking extra water.

Unpleasant.

As I stared out the window, I paused to stretch my arms up and began my daily chores.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this chapter is just a wee bit shorter and I apologize for that. I usually have them pre outlined and all I have to do is add detail and brush them up a bit.

But today I had to start from scratch, pre writing outlines for my next chapters so this was the only portion that was finished.

But I promise! Monday's will be much longer, and will hopefully be posted before the hour of 2am

Please support my series, if I could get to like, 10 likes. That would make me really happy. <3

 <3