Chapter VII: Date with destruction

What...is...he?

He turned over and stretched his arm out ahead of him, dragging his chest across the stone floor, away from the obliterated terrain behind him. Scarlet stained his outfit, ruining his perfect grey jacket. Unfortunately, it seemed that his luck was dying out fast.

Fingers wrapped around his neck from behind and his body left the ground as he was yanked up in the air. A pair of deathly cold eyes met him and in the first time in a long time, fear encroached itself into his furiously beating heart. He coughed up crimson onto the ground, so much so that it'd hurt to take another gulp of saliva.

"S-Shit...hit a little harder now will you?"

Uttering that was a literal death wish that just might come true. The grip around his neck tightened and the glaring eyes before him watched him wince defencelessly in sheer pain.

Instantly, he was sent flying across multiple yards and spun helplessly in the air, then an excruciating burst of pain spread throughout his back as he crashed into a rock wall at a dangerously high velocity.

His vision grew weaker, his breathing grew coarser, his movement grew slower. Every part of himself ached unbearably and his fatigue drove him to the edge of unconsciousness. Coughing up blood signified his deteriorating stamina–exhaustion trampling on his lungs and limbs. He sluggishly lifted his head to witness the hulking figure headed towards him. Although his body and mind were battered, a steadfast flare of hope burned bright within.

Only a little longer to victory...

Seven days ago, our ardent Harbinger strolled along the cool sand with nightfall blanketing the sky above him. The grass swayed in sync with the trees nearby, rocking peacefully to the chilly wind of the night. Solemn streaks of moonlight shined upon his caramel locks of hair, the calm ambience sucking out every drop of distress out of his system.

He trekked cautiously so as to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to himself. Nevertheless, he still took the time to admire the beautiful landscape around him, flourishing with windwheel asters and valberries. 

"Why are these elemental traces leading me to Mondstadt? Could he have fled there? Nah surely not. There must be some other reason as to why they lead there."

Far off into the distance, he spotted a familiar building that belonged to the wealthiest man in Mondstadt. He decided on hanging around that area secretly to wait until dawn tore open the darkness. Though, it would soon seem that the Dawn would be tearing him open instead.

BOOM!

A surge of blinding inferno burst from ahead of Childe, knocking him back. He had his bow equipped in his hands straight away, aiming right at the source of the blast. Movement was detected from the burning area.

Gradually emerging from the rampant flames and smoke was a masked figure with hair as red as roses. He tugged his greatsword out of the ground and pointed it at the lone Harbinger. It appeared though that Childe was familiar with this masked vigilante.

"Well well well, fancy seeing you here. Why bother donning that stupid mask when its easy to tell who's under it?"

"Huh. I could ask the same about that despicable mask you've got on your head, Tartaglia."

The serenity of the night vanished as the atmosphere began to get intenser by the second.

Both men circled each other, weapons drawn and readied for battle. The red-haired man held his greatsword low while the blue-haired boy steadily locked on to the man's head with his bow.