Chapter Thirty-Eight

Magpie drummed her fingers on the table and watched the pendulum keeping time. If she hadn't been watching the swinging ball for so long, she would have found the little pegs tipping over fascinating. Every time the pendulum made a full rotation, the number in the top of the pendulum would flip to the next hour. They had wind up clocks in the inn. One on the mantel for guests and one in the kitchen for the family. They were expensive, but the gears were sturdy and they'd never needed to replace or repair either of them. Of all the possessions in their home, Magpie was proudest of those. The wood was dark and rich, well polished. They were the only items in the inn free of nicks and chips.

When the pendulum flipped over the number eight, Magpie announced, "I must go home now."

"You will not," Shawna said, tapping the heel of her boot on the conference table. She was reading scrolls. She'd whisper to Warrior as if Magpie wasn't there.

"Mana will worry."

"She knows you're here," Shawna said.

"But might I go home to get a shift to sleep in at least?"

"Your clothing will suit you fine," Shawna said, rising out of her chair.

"But these leggings chafe me when I lie down."

The line at Shawna's mouth deepened as her mouth twisted.

"I wish a shift to sleep in."

Shawna rubbed the bridge of her nose. "Warrior, go into Camilia's old room. Find the trunk and bring her a garment for repose."

"Yes, Shawna."

"I'm going to haunt the halls," she said. "Magpie can sleep in Lightening's room."

"Yes, Shawna."

* * * * *

Lightening held Symphony's reins in his hand and pushed Rhysya to take them. "Yuanshi can bring her back to me."

"I'm fine to walk," Rhysya said, her nose turned up in the air. She hugged and rocked little Rashana, paced off toward Valley.

Lightening handed the reins to Yuanshi. "You convince her."

Yuanshi's mouth opened futilely. He was dirty, sweaty, hungry and hadn't seen his wife or children for a day. He objected to being put in the middle of their fight.

"She should take the horse," Fatelle said. "Rest is good after a birth."

Rhysya scowled, came back.

Great, Lightening thought. She won't listen to me, but she'll listen to a child of five annae.

"Get on the horse."

She took his hand and allowed him to aid her mounting Symphony. Yuanshi held the baby up for her to take. "You shouldn't yell at the woman who holds your child."

"I didn't raise my voice."

Rhysya leaned over and kissed his forehead. Their bickering comforted her. She drew his white hair out of his blue eyes. "I will see you soon."

His lips twitched into a smile. Yuanshi climbed onto Symphony behind her and coaxed the horse with the reins.

Fatelle gathered her jars, baubles and scrolls, watched Lightening watching them. She would not have told him his future, but he already sensed the distance between them.

* * * * *

Lightening walked back to Thundonia, paying no attention to his attire. He gave his shirt as swaddling for his daughter. Yuanshi gave him his robe to cover his chest. He held his mask in his hand and remained deep in the realms of his mind until he reached the gates of Thundonia.