Chapter Eleven

The Star Children had vacated Magpie's room by the time she awoke. She couldn't call it morning. She didn't dress. They'd seen her in her shift the previous night. They could see her in her shift again.

"If you don't wish to attract a mate," her brother Hawk called at her from down the hall, "you should put on proper clothing."

Magpie had nothing to throw at him. Otherwise, she would have.

Glenada was slaughtering fruit. Canary and the Lovebirds were busy with plates. They were scurrying back and forth from the kitchen to the lobby. "Won't eat meat," Glenada was saying under her breath. "All that perfectly good sausage and won't touch it."

"I heard one of the Star Children say that Yuanshi accosted James with a bough," Vale, one of the Lovebirds, chirped.

"It's not a rumor," Vachel, the other Lovebird, said, lifting a plate. "The Star Child told me directly."

"Star Children are liars," Hawk said.

"They're willfully ignorant," Magpie interrupted. "That's different from lying."

Hawk said, "Mana, if we're at war with the Acidonians, can I join the guard and battle them?"

Glenada said, "Absolutely not."

"I want to fight the Acidonians. I'm of age."

Glenada repeated, "Absolutely not. Facing Acidonians is suicidal. We're not that loyal to Thundonia."

Glenada handed Magpie two plates.

"Hey!"

"You're standing around without occupation. I'm saddled with half of Valley in there. You can make yourself useful."

Magpie hadn't made three trips when a messenger entered. Lorid wasn't present, so Magpie, as eldest, was most qualified to receive him. She discarded her plates. He leered at her in her shift, bowed to her, his lips wide. His teeth were crooked, but that was common. "Mistress Magpie, I believe."

Magpie had gotten so used to hearing herself called thus that she no longer took offense to it. She put her right hand on his right shoulder, but he didn't return the favor. That was also common. She was good enough to ogle, but not good enough to treat as an equal.

"I'm here on business," he announced. "But if I may inquire, are you spoken for?"

She was half-amused. Even if she was interested in a union, she wouldn't take one that wouldn't treat her adequately. If Glenada were there, she would have made him comfortable on the couch and asked him what position he served in government. "Thank you for your most generous offer. I'm perfectly capable of speaking for myself."

"I've heard as much. I'm willing to accept a shrew for a wife."

Magpie batted her eyelashes a full lapse before demanding his business.

"I've come to relocate the following Star Children to more permanent shelter."

He opened the scroll. As names were called, Star Children moved to the door. Twenty-five in all.

"But wait," Glenada said. She had appeared shortly after the names started being called. "That leaves us with fifty. We've not got room for that many."

"You've an inn. Put them in guest rooms."

"But our paying guests will leave," she said.

"You will be remunerated for your inconvenience. Any guest that chooses to leave, please report the name to Juice. He's a clerk. He will make it known to Shawna. Likewise, come to his office every fortnight for your compensation. You'll be paid for the forty additional heads."