Chapter Thirty-Nine

Shawna completed her notes on the charges. Lightening had actually made a strange suggestion on the scroll. Leave the man in the Pit for an annum, then exile him. He made a long argument discussing Old World methods, their effectiveness and the desirability of that option over execution. It was a worthwhile notion, but they didn't have room in the Pit to offer that to all their offenders. She would suspend sentencing until the actual hearing.

She recognized Apostle's voice at the door and admitted him. He allowed a thick woman to enter before him. Shawna had seen her before, but didn't immediately recognize her. Her hair was long and jet, covered in a headscarf. She crossed her kinsash around her front and tied it at the back. She would have been a beauty in her youth, fine skin and bright eyes. The lines of her face obscured her symmetrical features, but she still carried herself with dignity. She would have been extraordinary even ten annae ago.

"Glenada, Mistress," Apostle said, bowing. "Mistress Magpie's mother."

Shawna rose, her heart swelling. Yes, Lorid's wife. She recalled her perfectly now. She was more nervous than she recalled her. Magpie would have been too discreet to tell her parents that she'd been held hostage yester, but she may have complained of her treatment, may have insinuated that she had been done injury.

"I'm seeking my daughter," she said.

Shawna was taken aback.

Glenada clasped her hands before her. "She left just after breakfast, then was gone all day. I expected her home in the evening. All she would tell us was that your son sent for her and it was an emergency."

That was almost true, but the way Magpie had objected to staying, Shawna was sure she left once Lightening returned. He didn't show up more than an hour after Magpie had disappeared from the conference room.

"It's possible that Lightening compelled her to stay," Shawna said. He had not joined her for breakfast. He was still reeling when he departed for bed. She expected him to sleep late.

"Your son is quite handsome," Glenada said, her cheeks blooming with color.

"Yes, the pulchritude of the Son of Thunder is discussed in many a distant land," Shawna said. A remarkable feat, considering only his intimates had seen his face.

"He is very well-mannered, too," Glenada said. "Very genial. Magpie is difficult, but she has a high regard for your son. She'll come around." Glenada stopped, then said quickly, "You approve of her? You seemed to approve of her when you invited her to join you in the loge."

"I approve of her muchly," Shawna said.

Glenada's step lightened. She bounced along behind Shawna.

Shawna glanced to Glenada, chose her words carefully. She knocked on the Son's door, addressed him by name. "Is Magpie with you?"

He groaned. Shawna detected motion through the door. "Yes, Shawna." As she thought, he was still asleep.

Shawna was sincerely happy. Glenada read more into her expression than Shawna intended. This old gossip would serve Shawna's purpose well.

"Very good," she called through the door. She escorted Glenada away.

* * * * *

 Rhysya was careful to come during siesta when the least number of guards would see her. She knocked on Lightening's door, pushed it back and whispered, "It's us." Rashana was in a basket balanced on her mother's hip. Lightening was seated on the bed, reading. He let the book fall to his knee at the sight of her eyes.