(Interlude: The Flame (4)

Under normal circumstances, it would have been ridiculous. A Level 1 charging a Level 2? The best he should have been able to hope for was a humiliating defeat.

But that's only under normal conditions. Against a badly burnt, washed up, one-handed Level 2 suffering from extensive blood loss and probably other injuries? He'd take his chances. Though truthfully, at this point, he'd have taken his chances even if none of that had been true.

Regardless, he didn't hesitate to bring down his heavy sword with both hands, aimed straight for the bastard's head. Whatever qualms he might have had with killing the man had long since vanished and if he happened to look like he was on his way to the grave already, well...he had no problem hastening the process. He put all his weight into the swing, hitting Zanis with everything he could, and—

—And yet the bastard still managed to stop it. Raising a hand with surprising speed for someone as clearly injured as he was, if significantly slower than one might expect from a Level 2, he drew the broadsword strapped to his back and caught his attack with only a slight stumble, clearly showing the difference between their basic Status.

But screw the Status.

You took Lili and you drugged her to try and make her obey, He thought, baring his teeth as he struggled to push Zanis back and find an opening. You took Kazuki. You used it to hurt innocent people—and what's worse, you may have just killed my best friend.

"You'll...regret this..." Zanis said slowly, breathing hard as his one good eye stared blearily at him.

"What? Killing you?" He asked with a snarl. "I fucking doubt it!"

Seeing how Zanis held himself, leaning most of his weight on his right leg, he proceeded to kick him in his left, feeling from the relative lack of resistance that it was broke—probably the result of Percy's impromptu diving lesson and how sad was that? It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, really. Somehow, though, he didn't seem to enjoy being kicked in his broken leg because he released a cry and lost his balance, giving him a chance to knock the asshole back with a sudden push and make him put even more weight on it. He didn't hesitate to follow up, either, stepping forward even as he raised his sword, only to have to change his goal slightly as Zanis recovered enough to lash out with an attack of his own.

He caught the blade on his own, struggling with both hands—and holding him off, if just barely. In the process, however, he noticed something; Zanis wasn't much of a swordsman. He was stronger, sure, but sloppy. If he was being fair, a lot of that could probably be chalked up to the pain, the missing hand, the broken leg, the blood loss and pain, and everything else. But he sure as hell wasn't being fair to this guy, and truthfully, he didn't seem like much of a swordsman. The sword was heavy and sure to be powerful in the hands of a Level 2 that was strong enough to wield it, but as a blacksmith, he could tell Zanis wasn't suited to it; it was probably a choice he'd made to cause more damage, rather than to suit his style and skills. Even without the broken leg, his stance would have been off, like what little he'd learned of how to use the sword had been done with something that wielded far differently and he'd never adapted. He saw strength in Zanis' sword, but not skill. He'd fought, clearly, and had likely fought things stronger than he ever had without Percy's help, but he hadn't put hours and hours into training with the sword.

But he had. He wasn't just a blacksmith—he was a blacksmith of the Hephaestus Familia and he'd been born in Rakia besides, a kingdom ruled by a god of war. And when he'd been stopped at the tenth floor and been unable to progress any further alone, he'd trained day after day, honing his swordsmanship and his blacksmithing in the hopes of getting just a bit further. It may not have been able to make up the sheer difference in Status between him and a far stronger opponent, but on roughly even terms? He wouldn't lose to this idiot in a fair fight.

And again, he had no interest in playing fair.

Taking a moment to struggle against Zanis, he abruptly stepped slightly to the side and tilting his blade, adjusting it enough to guide the force of the strike down along its length with a brief flash of sparks. As he turned the strike's force against its wielder, he also removed his left hand from his sword, angling his hand for the strike.

"Burn out, illegal work!" He shouted, a sudden blast of flame leaping from his palm to strike Zanis full on in the face. On their own, the anti-magic flames weren't anything special, even to a weak adventurer—but it was bright, sudden, and unexpected, and Zanis had already had bad luck with flames today. And as the man closed his one good eye in fear, he struck, scoring a long gash across the man's side that Zanis only managed to stumble away from at the last second.

"You fuck—" Zanis shouted again, opening his eyes and striking at what was probably a blur to him after the flash, because he sidestepped it easily and swung again. This time Zanis stumbled backwards, nearly falling as he seemed to trip in the ankle deep water. He pursued again, swinging in a wide arc meant more to deter than to hurt—but for a guy with a broken leg, being made to stumble around probably hurt plenty enough on its own. When he just barely managed to remain standing, he glared balefully at me with his good eye and raised his hand to strike at him again—

But just as Zanis was about to bring his sword down, an arrow appeared in his chest, just to the side of his shoulder. The bastard jerked slightly as the arrow hit, faltering in his attack—and despite himself, so did he, turning to look at the source. Had reinforcements finally arrived? Had they understood the situation? And who was it?

Backing far enough away from Zanis that he didn't need to fear a surprise attack, he glanced over his shoulder and saw a short figure, their outline blurred somewhat by the rain. Based simply on their size, however, they were either a dwarf or a pallum—

No. It couldn't be, but...how...?

"Liliruca," Zanis breathed, letting out a rather pitiful growl. "You bitch."

"Lili!?" He shouted, shocked. "How—"

His mouth closed with a click as he realized the obvious answer to that question, looking behind her. Mrs. O'Leary was at Percy's side now, either oblivious to what was happening or simply uncaring as she slowly circled his body with slow, massive, lumbering steps. The rain may have been blurring her outline, too, but she looked different somehow; darker, if that was possible, like she was more shadow than dog.

"It's poisoned," Lili shouted, eyes fiercer. "But he may have Abnormal Resistance! Even so, it should be strong enough to show some effect!"

"Traitorous whore!" Zanis shouted, water splashing as he dragged himself several steps forward—only to stop as Welf stepped between the two.

"As if I'll let you!" He snarled, raising his sword even as Lili laughed behind him, the sound loud and carrying an almost maddened edge to it.

"Traitorous?" She asked. "Lili couldn't betray Zanis—because Lili never felt any loyalty to Zanis to begin with. From the very beginning, Lili hated you, but even so...even so! Lili let herself be stolen away again and again! Lili ran and hide and cried!"

She was crying right now, he saw, though it didn't seem like the time to mention it. The dazed look in her eyes from earlier was gone, as was the hollow look that had plagued her for so long—now, she just looked sad and angry.

"This Familia look so much from Lili. But Lili's already decided," She continued, voice resolute. "Lili'd rather die than let you take anything else, Zanis! Lili will kill you before she lets that happen again!"

He understood that completely and empathized in the extreme—even entertained, for the moment, to idea of them putting this bastard down together. But—

"Lili, wait!" He shouted. "Help Percy! If you have Mrs. O'Leary, get him out of here—or do whatever you can!"

"But Mr. Percy...Mr. Percy is...!" Lili said, still with tears in her eyes.

He silenced his own doubts on the subject, shaking his head and clinging to the possibility of hope.

"That guy can heal from damn near anything!" He said. "As long as he's alive, his magic should take care of the rest. If you can get his heart beating and keep it that way...!"

"Will that work?" Lili asked, her eyes widening.

He had no idea. Percy hadn't been healing when he tried to help him and he had no idea if he was too far gone or not. With nobody coming, no supplies up to the task, and nothing else, it had seemed hopeless, but—

"Of course," He shouted with a confidence he didn't feel. "Do you have any potions?"

"Lili managed to get some supplies before Mrs. O'Leary brought her here," She said back, excitement and hope rising beneath her voice. "Lili heard the explosions and Bom gave her some help, but...Lili doesn't know if it'll work...!"

"Try it!" He shouted again. "Try anything—just keep him alive!"

"You think I'll allow that!" Zanis shouted, pressing forward with newfound urgency and Welf raised his sword to match.

"Nobody gives a damn what you want!" He snapped, yelling at the man as he lashed out, blade dipping low to send up a spray of salt water at his face. "Just fuck off and die already! Gah!"