relax.

hey nerds im back
kinda short because im writing a long ass conclusion to the royalty au thing
so this is kinda just a filler chapter
but enjoy ig?
thank you sincerely for 30k reads ily guys x <3

--

"You can't be serious."

Techno's breath was shallow as he looked down, his hands balling into fists, his nails breaking the skin of his palms as he pressed himself as close to the rocky wall as possible. The two of them were quite literally teetering on the edge of death, their demises only a misstep away.

Throwing a glance over his shoulder, Dream grinned at his nervous climbing parter. "Relax, Techno! This'll be easy!"

Easy for him to say. Techno was pretty much still a novice at climbing, not to mention moving along such a small edge. Dream, on the other hand, always enjoyed taking the riskiest paths possible. He would always look for the hardest trail or the steepest mountain to challenge -- and every time, he would win against whatever dangers came with the paths.

Unfortunately, Techno had fallen victim to being the climbing partner of such a person. He hated being so high up. He absolutely despised the idea that he was several thousand feet in the air, on the smallest ledge ever on an already steep mountain. One slightly wrong move, and he'd be plummeting towards the murky water below, hitting every single rock possible on his way down.

And then there were the rocks above.

The place had been an avalanche hazard for the longest time, and Dream knew this. Any sound that was slightly too loud would send asteroid-size rocks down the mountain, flattening everything in their paths. Unfortunately, this included human people.

Techno stammered, trying to find an excuse to go home as he unsteadily shuffled along the small ledge after Dream. A steady stream of loose dirt fell underneath the pressure of their sneakers, corroding the ledge ever so slowly.

"Is there even an end to this ledge?" Techno asked, too afraid to tilt his head and try to look for himself. "Does it open up into a larger ledge, maybe?"

Another grin was sent in his direction, the smile's owner obviously not noticing the terror flowing from his friend's voice in tremoring waves. "Nah. It just stops a little farther ahead. We'll have to go back the way we came."

If Techno could smack Dream, he would. There was no way both of them could survive this. It was too high up, too steep. And if they even dared to make a loud sound, they could send two-ton rocks hurtling down the mountain.

Spoiler alert: that's exactly what happened.

As they neared the edge, both of them somehow still shuffling against ledge with their backs to the wall, Dream smiled back at him. "See? We're fine-"

He yelped loudly as a piece of the ledge broke away under his foot, falling into the abyss of clouds under them. All seemed fine for a moment, Dream's unsettled chuckle being the only sound.

Then, the sound clear as day, there was a sort of deep rumbling above them. Techno's eyes whipped over to Dream, who looked just as scared. His mouth hung open slightly, his eyes were wide and watery, and his expression was more horrified than ever.

"Run!"

Techno gripped for a handhold as he turned around, trying to steady himself. The sounds got louder, sounding like an angry pounding against the mountain, as if some kind of giant was running down the side.

"Where?"

"Anywhere! Go!"

Turning his head, Techno saw Dream already trying to get off the ledge. He'd gotten a foothold just underneath the place where the dirt had broken away, and he was gripping the ledge with his nails to keep from falling.

Breath catching in his throat, Techno tried to ignore the trickle of blood running down his hands as he started to move across the narrow ledge. The sound was growing louder, faster. Closer. It was only a matter of time until he and Dream were flattened by the cascading avalanche, their bodies never to be recovered.

The first rock --small, but quick-- fell near Techno's head, and his grip tightened as he moved faster. One steady foot after the other, he quickly yet carefully shuffled along the thin edge, jamming his fingers into wherever he could find a steady handhold and putting the last amount of pressure possible on the hardened ledge.

Next came a small downpour of larger stones, raining over the edge of the mountain and heading straight down. The sound of the larger rocks was almost deafening now, and the avalanche would come pouring down at any second. But the regular path was in sight now; So close that Techno could probably reach out and grab onto one of the shrubs lining it. A shaking hand removed itself from a handhold in the side of the mountain and cautiously reached for the safety of the land.

A boulder tumbled into his field of view, coming dangerously close to his head. Another smaller one grazed his shoulder as it fell, almost knocking him off balance and likely giving him a nasty bruise. Techno couldn't spare a second to look for Dream, but the sounds of rocks breaking off pieces of the ledge nearby and occasional panicked gasps were enough proof to say that he was struggling, as well.

Finally, Techno secured his hand around a thorny branch of the shrub. It hurt, but he dug his fingers tightly into the somewhat-secure branch and heaved a leg onto the stable ground. As he moved to get across, a rock larger than most of the others flew down the mountain, followed by several others of both greater and lesser size. One smacked into the underside of his outstretched elbow, throwing it outwards and sending pain up his arm. Another hit his foot, knocking him completely off balance.

Techno distantly heard Dream yell something to him, but he was much to preoccupied with not dying to process it. He flailed blindly as he fell off the side of the ledge, trying to avoid using his injured arm as much as possible. Though, he had to sacrifice his comfort for his safety, tumbling a good four meters down the mountain before he was finally able to jam his fingers into a crevice in the surface. His uninjured foot found a branch that jutted from the side of the steep incline. The pain was searing, and he was sure that at least one of his ribs had cracked in the fall.

That was nothing compared to what came next, though. Finally, the avalanche moved into full swing, a sea of stones larger than cars rolling down the mountain in an inelegant fashion. Techno could only stare at the incoming demise, could only stare as a boulder caught Dream in the stomach and sent him plummeting down, could only stare as everything came crashing down into him.

--

Wilbur's smile faded as he opened the file. Pictures of boulders settled at the bottom of the mountain were paperclipped to the only paper inside, some of them showing the faintest hints of blood.

"Deaths?" he asked, undoing the clips and setting the photos to the side to allow himself to read the rest of the report.

"None confirmed," Ranboo said, his voice solemn. "Though, two hikers were said to have gone up there earlier that day, and they haven't been seen since. No bodies were recovered."

Another glance towards the picture of the bloody boulders was stolen.

"Console the victims' families, if you can," Wilbur requested, his eyes briefly scanning the document. From the largest boulder size to the altitude it was suspected to have started at, the report listed everything the team knew about the avalanche. "Search the mountain for signs of blood or clothes -- especially survivors."

The image on his table was unsettling, to say the least. As Ranboo hastily nodded and left the room, Wilbur propped his head up on a couple of fingers and stared blankly at the photo. Without any confirmed bodies, the blood seemed like something phantom, like the dried liquid had belonged to a spirit rather than a person. And, until a body was extracted, it would remain to seem like the victims were just that -- spirits, lost in a whisper of wind in the echo of the avalanche.

--

*casually ignores drama*
hey :)
i promise to start updating more frequently <3