the dog...is cake. (royal/fantasy au pt 1)

okay so no pota to for a while because I can't think of anything to do with it
enjoy this half-assed chapter as I procrastinate, tho

I'm also gonna start using their online names cos using their real ones just seems kinda...disrespectful, I guess?
idk, man.

au: fantasy/royalty au featuring randomly generated kingdom names

prompt for this chapter specifically and not the story as a whole: the heirs to the thrones in two enemy kingdoms have despised each other since they first met. dream accidentally steals techno's dog and then goes on a quest to assassinate him. techno is also mad because he wants his dog back before he gets murdered
-

Dream pulled back the curtains, revealing his bedroom window that looked out over the kingdom below. Sitting on the balcony outside was a small, white dog, which had been scratching at the window for almost 10 minutes. It's collar made a little jingle sound as it jumped in delight of being found, barking. Shushing the tiny animal, Dream opened the sliding glass door, allowing it to enter.

Scooping the animal into his arms, he examined it for scratches or bleeding. "How did you get up here?" he asked it, turning over it's circular collar piece to see what was written on it. The name 'Floof' was engraved on the golden piece. Dream hummed, setting the dog down on the floor. It barked in thanks and looked around the room, before running off to explore under the bed.

Who's dog was it, and how did it end up on a third story balcony? He must have somehow found one of the many hidden passageways throughout the castle, weaving his way through until he got to a place close to the balcony.

Dream climbed into bed after a few minutes, listening to Floof pant happily as he explored the room. Tomorrow, he'd find out who the dog belonged to and he'd return it.

--

At breakfast the next morning, he was the first one to the table. His mother came in a couple of minutes later, speaking to one of the castle's servants in a hushed whisper. Almost ten minutes later, his father arrived, laughing to himself.

"What's so funny, Reginald?" asked his mother, cutting a piece of egg on her plate from the rest. His father sat down at the head of the table. "The prince of the Boychire Kingdom just announced that his dog has gone missing." The man's wife gasped, then laughed. "That thing?" she asked. "Well, good for it. It was probably beaten half to death by those scoundrels."

His mind immediately snapping to Floof, Dream almost denied his mum's claim. As he stopped himself, though, he realized that he couldn't be sure if the dog belonged to the prince of the other kingdom--it would be unlikely, as it was quite far away.

"Anyways," the queen continued, "that dog being lost will distract the prince from his duties for at least a while. That'll open up a window of opportunity for you to carry out the assassination, son."

He'd almost forgotten about that, to be frank. The thing he'd been obsessing over for the past two weeks is killing the enemy kingdom's heir, and he had pushed it to the back of his mind in his discovery of Floof. In fact, he still needed to find who it belonged to. However, his current task needed to be the assassination.

Dream, taking a final bite of food, stood from his chair. "Well, the sooner the better, then. I'll get George to saddle up a horse and the job'll be done by noon." He then exited the dining hall, hearing his father's hearty chuckle become muffled as the door closed behind him.

After equipping himself with a bow, some arrows, and a sword, Dream made his way to the stables, where George had already tied a saddled-up horse to the post. He took it's reigns and climbed aboard, beginning the long journey to meet his enemy for, hopefully, the final time.

--

He made the horse yield, alert at the sudden noise.

"Hannah, do you see him?"

"No..."

"I wonder if Phil or Wilbur has found him yet."

"We can only hope."

They were two voices--male and female. The guy's sounded oddly familiar, and Dream felt the need to draw his weapon in case he was found.

"Why would he run away, though? I don't think I was doing anything wrong..."

"Let's just head back for now, Techno. Floof will turn up eventually."

Uh oh.

The horse stamped it's foot on a small pile of twigs and pine needles, and Dream could hear the sharp intakes of breath of the two people.

Huge uh oh.

"Who's there?" Hannah called. Dream unmounted his steed, silently cursing it as he stepped through the thicket of trees. Techno's spooked expression instantly turned into a scowl, looking at his nemesis with disgust. "You."

In a swift second, both princes had their swords drawn. Hannah, who was unaware of who Dream was, seemed as if she was panicking. "Techno, please don't," she pleaded, not knowing the outcome of what would happen if a battle happened.

"Why are you here?" she then asked, turning to Dream. "Well, you see..." It was his turn to panic, wracking his brain for an excuse. He wasn't just going to outright say that he was here to kill the prince--that would get him murdered instantly. "I think I have your dog," he blurted after a moment of silence.

The other two exchanged glances, Techno's arm falling to his side. "You have Floof?" he asked quietly, having had worried for his pet's health since he had gone missing. Dream nodded. "He appeared at my window last night. Unscathed." He dropped his sword arm as well, knowing that Techno no longer wished to pick a fight. "Thank god," the other breathed.

"I could give him back," Dream offered with a shrug. Frankly, he had no idea what he was doing, but all he was thinking about in the situation was not dying. The dog's life could be a perfect negotiation tactic, yet he was just...giving it back? To his mortal enemy?

Techno, looking hopeful, looked to Hannah. "I don't know. How do we trust you?"

"Come back here tommorow. Same time. I'll have Floof with me."

Dream outstretched his empty hand to Techno, who hesitantly took it. They shook hands before parting ways, both of them wondering what the hell they were getting into.