chapter twenty one

Laurance left me standing there alone in the middle of the hallway. He didn't look when he walked away. How is it that he can walk away so easily?

I'm in my bed, lying here in complete darkness. Nothing on my phone seems to interest me after I gave up on trying to contact him. He left me on delivered for every single message.

I never understood what they all meant. In my mind I haven't changed. In my mind I'm still the happy go lucky Y/N that walked through those front doors months ago. I'm still pure.

I can't get over Laurance's words. I don't understand why he cares so much. He never cared before, but it slowly started to change. It's come to my attention that his words hurt me so much because I want him a part of my life. I want to be by his side walking down the hallways. I want to be his, but our wings wouldn't allow us to.

Vylad had stopped talking to me. He even blocked me at one point before he got in trouble with Garroth. After his "conversation" with Garroth, I was added again. But even then, he left me on read. Why is it people of my own kind have abandoned me?

Knocks sound on my door, and I leave them to themselves. The door soon opens and my mom walks in. The bed dips down due to her weight as she sits down, and I feel her hand on my covered shoulder.

"Y/N, what's going on with you lately?" She asks me. I don't even have to uncover my head to know she's frowning at me. She sounds disappointed as is. "You've been acting differently lately."

"Will everyone stop telling me that? First Vylad, Laurance, and now you?"

The blanket is removed from my upper body as her eyes lock into mine. "Laurance? Who's Laurance?" When she sees that I don't respond she sighs. Going into detail, I'm told of my shift in mood and behavior. She's even looked at my attendance and grades lately to see they've changed from what they once were. "Y/N, please, did your father and me do something? What did we do for you to change the way you have?"

Her tone has gone from disappointment to defeat, and I can feel my heart sink within my chest. Maybe I have changed. Maybe my mood has shifted and my thoughts have turned negative. I can't even blame anyone else for this. This is my doing.

I shake my head. "You didn't do anything," I tell her, slowly bringing myself to sit up. My teeth bite into my bottom lip as I try to think of my next words. "Mom, I simply took the wrong path. I. . . I-I'll to fix it. I promise. . . I managed to lose some friends because of it."

She looks at me. "Like the Ro'meave boy? Zianna and I were talking the other day. He seems upset, and I haven't seen you two around lately." I slowly nods my head, and her arms wrap around me in an embrace. "Just talk to them. Apologize and try to make an effort to change. That's all you can do."

"Thank you mom."

She smiles weakly at me and kisses my forehead. She stands up and straightens out her shirt and walks to the door, turning on the light and walking off.

I kick my legs off to the side of the bed and force myself to stand up. If I'm going to make things right, I need to start now.

~~~

Alex's POV

My eyes were glued to the clock for a bit of time, waiting and watching for the time to strike a decent time so I could see Vylad. So I could tell him the news. And when the time finally came, I found my feet rushing towards the door only for Cadenza to yell at me to put a coat on.

Vylads house isn't that far from mine. I know because I'd sneak out through the window a few times just to hang out with him.

By the time I'm at his house, my wings are hidden and I'm banging my fist rapidly against his front door. I hope that Vylad opens it and not someone else, and my hope is fulfilled when the messy brown haired green eyed boy stands in front of me.

"Alex? What are you doing-"

I wrap my arms around him and bury my face into his chest, squeezing my eyes shut. His arms wrap around me, and I'm filled with the familiar comfort from him that I've been longing for. "Don't let go," I whisper. "Not yet."

Vylad gives me a few more seconds until I'm let go of and looked up and down. He lifts an eyebrow, confused why I've even put myself within five feet of him. Myself on the other hand, I can't help but smile like a loon before he asks me what I'm so happy about. My wings flutter out, and he quickly returns the same smile I possess before quickly hugging me once more.

"Oh, Vylad, I'm pure again. I'm really pure again," I tell him, almost crying again before I stop myself. "Thank you for never giving up on me even when I gave up on myself."

"I promised you that I wouldn't."

~~~

It was near dark before I got back home. My wings have been out, and I haven't had to deal with Garroth since this morning. Things are finally starting to look up again.

I open up my front door and walk in only to see dad standing in the living room with Cadenza, having a conversation. He stops talking once he sees me and smiles.

"Alex, your wings," he tells me, his tone in disbelief. "They're white."

I nods my head, standing in place as I watch him walk closer to me, Cadenza in toe. A mini conversation of our own and how today went down takes over before I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. It seems like Laurance is home.

"Look, Laurance I know-"

He walks over to us, confused on the commotion and almost makes a snarky comment before stopping in front of me. He grabs onto my shoulders and looks at my wings. "You changed."

I swallow the lump in my throat and nod my head. I knew telling Laurance would've the hardest. "I changed after I came home today."

He smiles at me. He hasn't smiled at me in the longest time. Hell, I don't even think I've seen him smile in general for the longest time.

"I'm so proud of you."

For the first time in a while, I'm finally getting to see the old Laurance I used to look up to again.