"Finding Sweetpea"

I've been playing through season one with my roomies and wanted to write up a little thing for between episodes 2 and 3. This is after Lee comments that the state of the St. John's Diary would "give any kid nightmares".

Summary: After returning to the Motor Inn for the St. John's Dairy, Clementine is struggling with what she saw there. Luckily, Lee notices her distress and comes to her aid.

❤ consider supporting me on ko-fi! user: justajournalist 

The St. John's Dairy, slowly, was fading behind them. Lee, not wanting to kill either of the brothers, had left them both to stand the test of time in the rain.

Finally, with the dairy was out of sight - everyone's feet sore, overworked, and aching - their pace began to slow. After their instance with the car had come and gone - after looting it dry - they were far enough from danger that they could slow their walking.

Lee turned, allowing Kenny, Katjaa and Duck to take the lead. He focused his sights on Clementine.

Despite agreeing with her to not steal - bringing her some comfort after a traumatic day - she began walking in the middle of the group, her head down, dejected.

"Clem?" Lee called, slowing his peace, so she could catch up to him.

Clementine eyes glanced up at him nervously, squeezing her fingers nervously against each other.

Noticing this, and noticing her lack of response, Lee frowned. "Are you okay?"

Clementine rubbed her arms nervously, closing her eyes and nodding. After what she saw back there, she didn't want to speak. She felt sick. She felt terrified. She felt like she was all alone. She hated this world. She didn't want to be in it anymore. Squeezing her eyes closed, she hoped it would stop her tears. She didn't want to draw attention. Not right now.

"Are your feet tired?" Lee asked faintly. Only then did Clementine glance up to meet his gaze. Her lack of response, but shy gaze, answered his question. "Come here,"

Kneeling down in front of her, Clementine smiled before nervously crawling onto Lee's back, piggybacking. He smiled, standing upright and adjusting his hold on the girl before continuing on.

Burying her head in Lee's shoulder, even if she needed to cry, Clem was thankful no one else would need to see. And, when Lee heard her shuffling into his shoulder, her clutched her a little tighter. "We're almost back." He assured her softly.

"Okay." She mumbled through her occasional escaped tears.

Lee ground his jaw together as he walked, frustrated at no one but himself. He had allowed this to happen. He had done this to her. He had assisted in this pain.

By the time they reached the Motor Inn, and by the time Lee had dropped Clementine off at her room with the rest of the girls, she was too nervous to look Lee in the eye. "Goodnight." She said faintly, head down, scurrying away.

Lee frowned. "Goodnight," he said softly, watching as she slipped away into her room.

Lee wandered up to the upper balcony, unable to lie down; unable to sleep or stomach the thought of it. How could he after everything he had done today? After everything he had seen?

After everything, he'd force Clementine to see. He leaned against the railing, staring into the night sky, listening to the distant sounds of gunfire and wailing. He couldn't help but wonder if he knew any of those voices. Any of those people. He hated that.

What he hated even more was the faint whimper that entered the air a beat later.

Casting his eyes downward, he spotted a small figure scurried forward out of a closing hotel room door. It scurried around the RV, leaned against the back of it, and curled into a ball. The faint sobs that escaped a moment later were irreplaceable.

Clementine.

Lee threw himself down the stairs without a second through, trying to reach the child as quickly as possible. As he approached, Clem tensed at the sound of approaching footsteps. She slid against the pavement, nervously trying to wriggle away. "Please don't hurt me! Please don't!"

"Clem? Clem, it's me, sweetheart. It's Lee." He knelt down, lifting his hands, kneeling on the ground. He did everything in his power to prove he was innocent and intended no harm. His heart ached at the sight. She was petrified, if not worse.

Her whimpering got worse and, through the darkness, Lee could see her pull her hands to cover her eyes. "I'm trying to be strong. I'm sorry," she managed out.

Then, Lee's heart broke.

He eased forward, slowly and delicately, holding a hand out to the young girl. "Don't apologize, Clementine. There's nothing wrong with crying. It's okay."

Finally, for the first time that evening, Clementine made eye contact with her. Her eyes were red and swollen, her nose puffy and irritated.

"Sweetpea," for the first time ever, the phrase escaped his lips.

"I don't want to go back to the dairy." She sobbed out, eyes closing again. She lowered her head, whimpering. "I'm sorry. I'm really trying to be quiet."

"Hey, hey," Lee slipped forward, arms open, offering for the girl to come closer. Almost immediately, she did. Her head crashed into his chest and her hands, small and shaking, clutched at his jacket. "You're okay."

Lee placed one hand on the back of her head and the other on her back, tracing shapes, keeping her close, keeping her secure. As he held her, his eyes canned his surroundings, ensuring the two of them were remaining safe and untouched.

The thought of that not happening - the thought of someone approaching to threaten the girl's safety in this state - caused him to tense. His mind drifted to Jolene; the woman who had been stalking Clementine for the following weeks. Who had crept onto their site and stolen Clementine's hat, most likely off of her sleeping body.

His grip on her tightened, bringing her in closer.

"I can't sleep. I promise I've been trying."

"You aren't in trouble, sweetpea." He said again, his hand stroking at her head and hat, both hushing and reassuring her. "I'm not mad. I'm never mad. I'm here."

Clementine sniffled and adjusted her head against his chest. Lee could feel the patch of her tears on his chest - right by his heart where her head had been laying - and adjusted accordingly to ensure she was comfortable.

Lee continued to hold the child tightly to his chest, surveying the various motel doors, teeth gritting at the recollection of every team member that had ever threatened Clementine's livelihood in the passing months. The thought made his gut turn. The thought of anyone daring to lay a hand on her or not prioritize her safety. Repulsive.

His eyes drifting to the sky, catching the glint of the sky brightening for the coming day, he internally groaned. Adjusting his grip on the child, he pulled himself to his feet, the girl still in his arms. "Hold tight." He'd said.

Clementine had. "Please don't leave," was all she could say.

Lee closed his eyes, wondering if she could hear the ache in his heart. Her ear was right by it. "Of course not, sweetheart. I'm moving us inside the RV." Clementine's delicate grip on his jacket only grew tighter.

Closing the same RV door behind him, Lee eased his way into a seat, adjusting the young girl in his arms, feeling the rush of warmth from not being in autumn's evening chill.

"You're safe, Clem. I promise." He clutched her tight, despite the wind long behind them. "We won't go back to the dairy. We won't go anywhere that causes you harm. I promise. I'm here."

And for the first time in the past day, Clementine actual felt a wave of peace.