"A New Home"

Title: A New Home
Characters: Clementine, AJ, Marlon, Louis
Summary: An AU where Clementine and AJ are orphans, and Marlon decides to take them in.
Author's Note: I'm SO happy with how this turned out oh my god oh my god I hope you guys like it :)))
Requested By: littlewolfartist104
support me on ko-fi!
user: justajournalist
---------♥️♥️♥️----------
There were new kids at school. Already it was strange — their school hadn't had new students in what felt like forever — but these two were especially different.

They were siblings, an older girl and a younger boy, and they wandered into the building hand in hand on their first day. That alone set off alarm bells in the school's social circles. After all, what kind of siblings did that? What kind of siblings got along that well?

But Marlon, being the student body president, didn't have much of a choice. He was required to assist them in their first day introductions, no matter how odd the duo seemed.

"I'm Marlon, student body president. For today though, I'm your tour guide." He flashed his classic, plastic smile. It was the same one he plastered on whenever he was giving a student body address. "What are your names?"

The girl shifted. "I'm Clementine. This is my brother, AJ." She gestured to the child clinging to her hand. "But I don't think we need a tour." Her voice sounded calm, collected, cool. Marlon had to admit that given the death grip they had on each other, he hadn't expected such confidence.

Marlon blinked. "Uh, it's common practice for us to offer that to all new students."

Clementine's expression didn't change. She shifted more weight onto her right foot, planting her free hand on her hip. "I doubt we'll be here that long. It won't be necessary." She glanced around, disinterested. "Point me in the direction of our first classes, and we're good."

Marlon blinked. "Are you not going to accept any other option?"

Clementine blinked in response. AJ was too busy studying the state of the halls to bat an eye in Marlon's direction. Marlon took those as his answer.

Marlon pointed to his right, gesturing down a hallway humming with life. "Well, if you need anything, let me know what I can do." The sentence was hardly past his lips before Clementine was starting away, tugging AJ behind her.

Was Marlon confused? Yeah, seeing as no student had ever spoken to him in such a way before. Worried? No. Curious? Definitely. All he knew for certain was that he wanted to know more, and that was enough of a drive.

All throughout the day, other members of the student council had been sending Marlon updates — and questions — about the two as per his request. It was common for him to ask his team to keep an eye on the new members of their community, seeing as they were student leaders. But this time around, just as suspected, everyone was just as confused by their behaviour as he was.

The two ate lunch alone on the back steps of the building — around where the smokers hung out. Clementine walked with AJ to everything if she wasn't in class herself. She didn't engage with anyone, she wasn't interested in carrying a conversation if someone else attempted to initiate it; nothing.

But why?

After their first week, as per student council rules, Marlon caught them before class. They were making a beeline for their respective rooms despite there still being 20 minutes before classes started, when Marlon swept in front of them.

"Hi again." He said, forcing a tender smile.

Clementine blinked. AJ looked away. Neither of them said anything.