{1¹²} {WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING}

∆ {1¹²} {WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING} ∆

IT WASN'T THAT Venus had anything against Clint Barton, it just amused her to see him uncomfortable. He was currently standing in a corner, practically squirming under Venus' gaze, his own eyes directed at the wall just past her head.  He'd been staring at it so intently for the past few minutes that he could've worn a hole in it.

"What's wrong?" Venus' tone was deliberately laced with a hint of flirtation, letting a smirk slide onto her face  as she watched his ears go red. He cleared his throat awkwardly as an attempt to ignore her, hoping that Natasha and Fury would hurry up their talking and come back into the room. Venus' kept her eyes fixed on Clint, partly glad that he was in the room with her so that she would have something else to focus on rather than the mirror or the camera that still blinked red in the corner. The other part of her mind was devoting to trying to figure out what was being discussed in the room behind said mirror. There were several routes it could be taking, she was just trying to figure out which one it was. It was most likely something to do with her past with Natasha, and the sort of relationship that they'd had before. What that had been, she doubted that either of them knew.

Natasha had always been the more selfless of the pair. She'd been the one to approach Venus and comfort her, despite the rules, and had always been the one of them to want to make sure that Venus was okay. The golden-eyed woman would return the motion, but only once Natasha had  initiated the exchange. Venus herself would always be scared of going back into that room, and Natasha knew that, and to Venus' relief, had completely understood it and the way she had distanced herself from most emotion.

The door swung open a second later, distracting Venus from her concentrated staring as she lazily moved her gaze to whoever had entered the room. It was Natasha and Fury, and a sense of anticipation washed over her, which she suppressed as well as she could. She hadn't reigned in her mind as it wandered the possibilities of what they had been talking about, so there was a small part of it that had decided that they had agreed to kill her, or send her back to the KGB as an unwilling spy, which would undoubtedly amount to the same. Natasha's face was blank, as usual, the same as Fury's, but the way her right hand's fingers were slowly, minutely furling and unfurling showed Venus that Natasha was nervous, which probably meant nothing good for her

Still, Venus didn't let the smirk slip, catching Clint slouching against the wall out of the corner of her eye the moment she looked away. Fury looked slightly bothered by what was about to happen, which only confused the circumstances further. 

"We have decided, upon consultation," he began, shooting Natasha an annoyed look as he spoke, before directing his gaze back to Venus and continuing, "to observe you and consider you for recruitment." His admission surprised her, and she tried to hide it, though she doubted that Natasha hadn't been able to pick it up through the joints in her defence. She had simply come here for her own protection, with the added bonus of seeing the redheaded assassin that would leave such an impression on people. If anything, she had taken the coward's way out; instead of simply accepting her death, she had felt the need to flee and put others in danger to keep herself out of harm's way. Instead of letting any of her internal thought process, she simply kept her smirk, and if anything, widened it a bit as she turned her attention to Fury.

"Why do you think I'm here?" He seemed slightly stumped at the question, but Natasha seemed to have been expecting something along those lines, and slipped into the conversation smoothly, response ready.

"Because we picked up the clues you left us and brought you in, even if you wanted us to." Natasha seemed pleased with her answer, allowing confidence to seep through into the atmosphere that hung around her as she leaned forwards in the chair like so many times in the past few days, meeting Venus' eerie gaze confidently, the haunted forests of green that her nightmares hid behind meeting cool gold in a unrequited challenge. Venus didn't accept it, carefully meeting the redhead's eyes calmly, just letting Natasha's eyes to seemingly bore through her. She was used to feeling as if her privacy was invaded; it was nothing new for someone who'd grown up changing in a room with 30 other girls for the first part of her life. 

Fury, on the other hand, seemed affronted by the insinuation that SHIELD couldn't find Venus themselves, and cleared his throat once again in the attempt to bring the attention back to him. It didn't work, and the room remained filled, mixed with tension, confidence, that awful blankness, and the slight nervousness that was emanating from the corner that Clint was still slumped in.

"Right, well, that's the proposition, if you choose to accept. Of course, you'll still be monitored and will be right back in that holding cell the second you do something wrong." Fury was still trying to establish dominance, threatening her to lose the freedom that she didn't even have yet. Venus considered it for a second, her eyes flicking back and forth from Fury to Natasha as she considered the variables. On one hand, she would be safe, she would still be able to go on missions, she would be able to fall into familiarity once again; she'd be back with Natasha, killing, fighting, just as she always had been. Following orders as she'd been trained to do,with more relaxed rules and more space for her to work, as she'd always done. But there were reasons on the other side too, and that was why Venus gave the answer she did.

"No."

{A/N:} Wow I had to write all of this on a chrome book, so the keyboard is really small and it has no capital key. This was way more difficult than it should've been, but more stuff happens in this chapter that I think is quite original and fitting with Venus' character. Idk, let me know if you think it's in line with what you think she would do. 

I hope you're enjoying this book, tbh, it's probably my favourite at the moment. As you may have noticed, I haven't updated Point Blank in the past few weeks and that's because I don't really have much inspiration for it or much idea of where it's going to go, but when I do, I WILL write up a chapter and publish it as quickly as I can. In the meantime, I'll try and update this book more and yh.

Pls vote, comment, etc., let me know what you think. Also there is no GIF or my sign-off banner because those are on my phone and PC, both of which I can't use for Wattpad at the moment, so I'll upload those things for this chapter later on.

Thanks for reading,

1230 words

Written: 01 / 02 / 2021

Published: 01 / 02 / 2021

JabberJay_011