Chapter 2

-Lucy-

The train had only just pulled into the station and all that could be heard were the cries of boys and girls and their mothers, it was a depressingly more grey day than usual, most likely because we were leaving home.

Then a voice snapped me out of my thoughts it was my mum, "You need to keep this on darling, all right?" She says knelt down in-front of my placing my tag on my bag, I look at her with tears in my eyes I really don't want to leave her, "you warm enough? Good girl." She says to me before turning to Edmund to put his tag on my older siblings had done it for themselves but we struggle so they did it for us, I daze across to look at my little sister who looked so gone out and tired, she could pass out any second.

Leah suffers with insomnia or At least that's what they think it is doctors could never really tell us what was wrong but she can only sleep when she's had medication or when she's with Peter or my dad, but my dads gone to war now.

"If dad were here he wouldn't make us go" Edmund complains to our mum, she just wants to keep us safe, "if dad were here it would mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go"
Peter argues trying to get the boy to stop complaining, "you will listen to your brother won't you, Edmund?" Mum says and he looks at peter before giving a small unrecognisable nod, my mum goes to kiss his cheek but he flinches away, she does so anyway but with hesitation.

She then turns to Peter who immediately hugs her, before saying "promise me you'll look after the others" "and please try get her to speak" she says looking down to Leah who's holding onto peters leg for comfort, "I will mum" he promises before leaning down to pick Leah up.

"Susan, be a big girl" mum says looking at her with adoration before hugging her tightly, Susan nods wiping the tears from her eyes as mum turns to her youngest child, "Leah" she says putting her hand on her cheeks before kissing her forehead, "be a good girl baby, okay?" Mum says tears in her eyes, Leah hugs her before clinging back into Peter, silently crying into his shoulder.
"Alright off you go" mum says as they blow the whistle one last time.

"Hey get off I know how to get on a train by myself" Edmund complains as Susan pulls him along. I start to cry missing my mother and our home, I don't want to leave, I stop as Peter is holding my hand, he puts Leah down telling her to "stay with Susan", "come on Lucy, we have to stay together now, everything's gonna be alright, it's gonna be fine, it's gonna be fine" he reassures me.

We get on the train looking for the closest window to wave goodbye, "bye" I yell to my mum as she waved back to us.

We are taken to a small carriage with two children already inside one young boy and one a little bit older looking girl, we sit opposite them, I play with my teddy while Edmund stares out into the window, once the children get off, they are taken by two different families I hope they don't split up my family.

Leah and Peter move over to the opposite side Leah sits next to the window drawing on it with her fingers, she seems content but void of any real emotion, she's been that way since dad left and now mums gone too, she's just not old enough to understand and neither am I.

After many more stops we make it to ours only to be the only ones to get off at our stop, the countryside was beautiful, there were big trees and fields