09 i held on as tightly as you onto me

Zayn doesn't get to speak to Louis that day.

After taking Liam and Harry out for dinner, they'd gotten back to Niall's room to find Louis fast asleep with the boy cuddled up to him; visiting hours were almost over, and so Zayn had scribbled a quick note to let the other man know that he was going to take the boys home for the night and that he'd call in the morning.

He carries Harry back into the house, Liam traipsing alongside him in silence. He opens the door, and the nine year old wordlessly passes him and heads towards the stairs.

"Hey, buddy, do you - I mean, are you okay? You don't have to go upstairs, we can just put a movie on or something. It's been a rough day," he calls out, shutting the door behind him and offering a nervous smile at the boy.

Liam stops on the third step and turns to face him, one hand on the banister. He twists his lips to the side and then lets out a breath, gaze dropping to the ground.

"I...I know I said m'not mad at you anymore, 'cause you saved Niall," he begins, swallowing. "And I'm not mad, I guess. But - but you still left us, and that kinda...that kinda hurt my feelings, I guess. A lot."

Zayn nods, pausing before he speaks because he doesn't want to mess up and say the wrong thing - he knows that Liam doesn't speak about his feelings often, and this is probably hard for him.

"I'm sorry for hurting you, Liam. That's...that's the last thing I wanted to do, but I was being selfish and I hurt you and your brothers and your Dad. You don't have to forgive me, kiddo, I just don't think you should go be by yourself tonight," he murmurs.

Liam stares at him for a moment before he gives a small nod, rubbing at his eyes. "Okay. But I - I gotta get dressed, and Harry has to have a bath tonight, 'cause it's a Saturday and he always has a bath on Saturdays. So...you gotta do it."

Zayn nods quickly, patting the sleeping toddler in his arms on the back gently. "I got it, bud. I'll start the bath now, don't worry."

The boy shrugs, carrying on up the stairs. "I wasn't worried," he murmurs, disappearing out of view.

Zayn watches him go with a small smile, kissing Harry's curls and patting his back again. "C'mon, Curly Whirly. Time to wake up. You wanna take a bath?"

Harry whines tiredly, rubbing his face against Zayn's shoulder. "Wanta p'ay wiv bubbles. An' Ni-Ni gotta have a baf wid me," he mumbles, pulling back and pouting at Zayn, eyes wide.

"Ni-Ni isn't here yet baby, remember? But I'll make sure you get an extra bubbly bath, okay?"

The two year old pauses, then nods in an exaggerated motion. "Otay. Then I eat toccy bars an' p'ay all to 'morrow."

Chuckling at the boy, Zayn pokes him in the ribs and leans down by the bathtub to plug it and begin running the water. One handed, he pours in a ton of bubble bath, then sets Harry down on his feet to begin undressing him.

Harry giggles happily once he's out of his clothes, holding his arms out in the air. "Yay! Hazzy loves bein' nakey!"

Zayn snorts, nodding. "Yeah, I can tell. Lets get you all covered up by these bubbles, huh?"

Harry squeals when Zayn lifts him up, swooping him around before lowering him into the tub.

The toddler immediately begins to splash around, splatting the bubbles and sending suds flying everywhere, squealing excitedly.

When Zayn is rinsing the shampoo from Harry's curls, the boys hair falling down his back when it's wet, Liam shuffles in with a bundle of clothes in his arms.