𝟏𝟐| двенадцать

ZOLA STOOD UNDER THE WATER of the shower hesitantly. It was cold and it reminded her of the snow from home. It reminded her of the times where they expected her to stay warm with that tiny cloth when it snowed outside. She didn't like cold things.

   Natalia sat on a chair outside of the shower, holding a book in her hands. Clint had recommended it to her. She had never had time to pick up a book, nor had she ever been allowed to, so she was taking this opportunity to try one out.

   Zola hugged her arms around her small body due to the temperature. She could practically see the guards crowding around her, standing over her like giants. She hated the way that she could feel them staring down at her. 

   She dug her fingers deeper into her skin as she stood still. She began to hyperventilate and lose control of her breathing. She could see them. She could feel them. They were watching her.

   Natalia's eyes lifted from the book immediately. Zola had been having crazy episodes and flashbacks lately. Everything that she did made her remember them. 

   "Zola?" Natalia questions as she opens the glass door and grabs Zola's arm. She had been in the shower for a while, so now seemed like a great time to get her out. 

   She pulled a towel around Zola slowly and reached into the shower so that she could turn off the water. 

   Natalia held her hand against Zola's cheek as tears fell down her face.  She hated the way that the same pain she'd experienced her whole life was something that her daughter had to experience as well. 

   "They aren't here, babe. They can't hurt you," Natalia tells her. She hugs one arm around Zola's back and one hand against her cheek. "Mr. Clint is going to take care of us. We're safe right now." Natalia whispers, kissing her forehead. 

   Zola doesn't understand much of what Natalia says

   Zola doesn't understand much of what Natalia says. Natalia was trying to get rid of her Russian accent when she spoke English, so she was speaking English a lot more than usual. 

   Zola continues to stare into her mom's eyes with fear. She was scared.

   "It's okay, Detka. Don't be scared." Natalia tells her, pulling her other arm around Zola's back so that she was hugging her. She kissed her daughter's forehead and held her close. 

   Zola took deep breaths in an attempt to calm herself down. Clint was going to help them. She didn't need to be scared. They had help. She was safe. If her mother said that she shouldn't be scared, then she should believe her. 

   Natalia dressed her in some clothes that Clint had picked up the day before. He was trying his best to make life normal and fun for them. There were so many things for them to try because technically, the only thing that they ever had tried was bread and murder.