nineteen

New York, 2005

   She felt like she had been around the world at this point. She felt like every day she was flying somewhere new and exploring a new place. It wasn't a bad thing. But it was a bad thing when Clint and Natasha weren't there to do it with her. 

   There were too many people here. Everywhere her head turned, every way she looked, someone was in her way. She was a very short girl, so that made it even harder to see past the crowds. 

   For the first few days, she hadn't heard back from her mother nor her father at all. She had constant panic attacks that Coulson had to take care of. She was always afraid, she was very paranoid, she was very jumpy and fearful. She had a lot going on in her head. 

   She simply wanted to use one of those weird ipod things to call her mom. She missed her and she wanted to make sure that she was okay. Most of the time, Zola was pretty angry with herself for not running out of those doors when she had the chance. She thought about what might have happened differently if she would have just gone. 

   Coulson tried to keep her entertained, he tried to teach her new things, and he tried his best to take her to new places when it was possible. They had to lay low, so it wasn't easy to show her around, but he tried his best to when the streets were the busiest. No one would find them on busy days: they were both too short and there were just too many people.

   He taught her about puzzles, and sitcoms, and even cake. They both had a sweet tooth, so he tried his best to keep her happy with sweets. She did need to grow a little and eat a little more, anyway. He tried his best to keep her eating regularly. Her body wasn't used to that yet, so sometimes she would hurl the food up randomly. It was okay with him, though. He understood.

   The second week came by, and her parents weren't back. Coulson wasn't allowed to call them because his phone easily would have been tapped. Especially if they were still trying to destroy that base.