seventeen and a half

JULIE WAS YOUNG, but she already knew that the world was a cruel place.

It wasn't rainbows and unicorns. People didn't casually burst into song. There weren't any happily-ever-afters.

There were only white hospital rooms. Crying dads. Dying moms.

Rose Molina had been diagnosed with cancer, meeting her fate earlier than anyone would have intended. She was a fighter. She made her own music, got people to support her, and lived a rockstar life. Not only that, but Rose had two beautiful kids, a loving husband, and a family that loved each other, which was a great feat to some.

There was a very dark time in her life when she didn't see any of that. Rose would try to imagine her future, and all she would see is black.

That's not the case anymore. She knew she was dying, but when she closed her eyes, all she saw was a steady, warm light welcoming her.

She knew it was her time.

Standing over the bridge that fatal night, she didn't know any of this.

With one drunken slip, she was plummeting towards the ocean, staying afloat as the purple haired girl was thrown against a rock with a powerful wave.

Rose would never forgive herself for that night.

Therefore, she learned about Emerald Rosario. She knew about her love her music and her talent for writing. When news reached Rose of Sunset Curve's passing, she knew what she had to do.

She had to live a life for not only herself, but for Emmy.

Thus, Rose and the Petal Pushers was born.

The road to success was prominent and then she met Ray.

She was scared shitless that she didn't deserve a man like him, and then she thought of Emmy. Rose remembered her kind eyes and reassuring smile. So, she took a chance on him because she knew that walking away, leaving Ray, was not something Emmy would have wanted.

From there, things began to settle down. Julie was born, and Rose made sure to love her with everything making up her soul because she wanted her daughter to grow up and be as brave as Emmy.

When Carlos was born, she taught him the importance of love. Rose raised her son to be as selfless and kind as the girl who didn't think twice before reaching out a hand.

That's why Rose wasn't that scared, lying on a hospital bed, body weak with chemo, and moments away from dying.

She was okay because she knew, in the short time that she had, she lived an entire lifetime for herself and the angel who fell from heaven that fateful night.

Rose wouldn't be where she is without Emmy, and for that, she kissed her daughter's hand and told Julie she loved her.