To Speak Without Words

So, I wrote this for my Creative Writing class. Basically the prompt I chose was "Write a scene in which the characters don't talk, but show their desires/emotions/intentions through physical action." 

I decided to write a Lilip (Lilith x Philip) thing. I don't really know what I think of it, but I think it's worth posting, at least to see what people think before my teacher grades it. 

So.

Yeah. 

Much Love, Krissy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's quiet in the garden. That's why it's one of their favorite spots. It was a quiet place to play when they were children, or hide from their respective younger siblings. It's a haven. Which is why she knows it's where he's hiding.

Lilith walks silently along the path, the colors of the flowers seeming more dull to her despite how colorful she knows they are. She searches for him, before her steps pause and her eyes fall on him. She knows him as a boy who embodies the sunshine and has freckles dotting all across his skin. That is not how he appears before her now. His head is bowed, his smile gone, and the sun has disappeared behind clouds. She takes a step toward him, and he lifts his head. Even his eyes seem to have dimmed. The very notion breaks her heart. He stares at her for a moment, and she fiddles with the folds of her dress as he considers her. Wordlessly, he moves aside on the bench, leaving it open for her to sit beside him. She moves under his gaze, settling on the bench at his side. She doesn't look at him for a moment, and she opens her mouth to speak.

The words just aren't there. There is no comfort she can give him with her words. The things she speaks will change nothing. She closes her lips again, silenced. The quiet between them grows longer, cut only by the faint rustling of the flowers and shrubbery as the wind blows gently. The window to his father's study is open, and then both straighten when they hear her mother's voice, loud and angry. Berating his father for his utter stupidity and obsession with legacy. The words are blurred, but the intent is there. Lilith turns to look at him. Phillip, her best friend in the world. Broken down by his father's intentions. She reaches over and rests her hand on his leg, a silent gesture of comfort. He looks over at her, connecting their gazes. A moment passes, then another. Her hand moves and she wraps her arms around him, unsure of what else she can do. He tenses up for a moment, before melting into her arms. His own arms circle around her back, and he places his forehead in the crook of her neck. It's when she can't see his face anymore that he lets his emotions overtake him, and tears roll down his cheeks, dripping onto her chest and the fabric of her pretty lilac dress. She squeezes her arms more tightly around him, her fingers curling against his back as a sob shakes his body. She hates this. She hates how he's trembling against her, broken down, crying. She hates every part of it. In hopes of soothing him, she runs her fingers through the ends of his hair and presses a soft kiss to the top of his head. The wind blows, colder than before. The colors seem to dim, and the light seems to fade. Everything feels dull. Grey. Without thinking, she begins to rock them both, ever so slightly. A melodic hum emerges from her throat, and she closes her eyes to the melancholic scenery. He hiccups against her skin, and she hushes him without missing a beat. Her wordless song wraps around him, warm and comforting like a blanket. She's always had this effect on him. She is safe and free of pain. The world cannot touch him when she is there. He exhales and sniffles, finally quieting after what feels like hours. His head lifts from her shoulder and pulls away from her grasp, trying to turn away from her and hide the tears still on his cheeks. Stubborn, as always, she turns his head to face her again and clears his tears away with her thumbs. Even when his face is cleared, her hands remain. Her gaze washes over him, inspecting his face and trying to read him. Her lips part to speak, before they both hear a voice calling their names. It's her mother, probably coming to collect them. Both of their heads snap toward the sound, before Phillip stands up, leaving her grasp. He takes a few steps toward the flowers, before turning to look at her and holding out his hand. An invitation. A request. She stands up and takes it, intertwining their fingers together. She follows him past the flowers and into the grass, allowing him to take them toward a large, old oak tree. The leaves wave in the wind, rustling in the warm breeze. When they reach the base of the tree, Phillip releases her hand and carefully starts climbing up the tree. A hand here, a carefully positioned foot there, and he finally climbs onto the lowest sturdy limb. He leans down, then, offering his hand to Lilith to help her climb. It's harder for her because of the longer skirt of her dress, but they make due with what they have. Which, if you must know, is determination and the energy of children half their age. Phillip half lifts her and she half lifts herself onto the limb, and they both shift so that they can share it comfortably. Lilith inhales, closing her eyes for a moment. It smells like spring. After a few seconds, she opens her eyes again and looks over at her best friend. He's staring forward, distant from her. She forgot, for a moment, what the weight of the situation is. The green leaves around them seem to dull in brightness, and the wind feels cold suddenly. Lilith frowns, considering him for a moment, before her eyes fall to where his hands are resting in his lap. She reaches over, taking his hand and pulling it to her to hold it between both of hers. He looks first at their hands, and then up at her. A moment passes between them, before he leans over and rests his head on her shoulder. All she wants is for him to be happy. The sobs are gone, but she sees how he squeezes his eyes shut to keep in tears. He doesn't want her to see him cry. He never does.

"Anastasia, are you sure we shouldn't be worried about them?" Lilith's ears perk up. It's Phillip's mother addressing Lilith's. Phillip doesn't move, but she notices his focus turn to the voices. Lilith's mother sighs.

"I'm not worried for Lilith. It's Phillip," she says. Lilith squeezes his hand tightly. There's good reason for their mothers to be worried about him. It's his father that made the mistake after all. The footsteps nearby pause.

"I trust that Lilith will take care of him. She always has," Phillip's mother says. Lilith leans her head on Phillip's, as if to prove the point as right. She strokes her thumb over his knuckles slowly, using it as a soothing reminder of her presence.

"Lilith cares so much about your boy. She would never let anything happen to him, I'm sure of that," Anastasia says. Phillip's mother sighs, and responds silently before their footsteps move away until they can no longer be heard. Lilith sighs and lifts her head to look at her friend as he leans against her. His pain is undeniably there, although he tries to hide it beneath the surface. To her, though, it's clear as day. She kisses the top of his head, before leaning her head back atop his. They don't speak for what feels like a very long time, but it's perhaps only half an hour at most.

"Lilith, we really must be going home now!" The two teens jolt, Phillip having fallen asleep and Lilith beginning to doze off when the voice called to them. They recognize it as Lilith's mother, and Lilith sighs. She lifts her head and tries to apologize, but Phillip squeezes her hand and silences her. He even offers her the smallest smile. He hops down from the limb first, before turning and opening his arms to her. She climbs down into them, and he helps her to the ground as well. He lets her go, but she immediately takes his arm in hers as they start walking back. Her mother is waiting for them, not looking too upset. She offers them both a soft, apologetic smile before holding out her arm for Lilith. The girl turns and embraces her friend, hoping her warmth will finally be enough to comfort him. He hugs her too, and admittedly, her warmth does make him feel better. When they part, she gives him one last sweet smile, before going to her mother and taking her arm. They walk back to the door, and Lilith looks back over her shoulder only once. She hopes that soon, if not today, her dearest friend will be alright. 

It's, like, not even two thousand words, but ???

Thoughts? 

Somehow this is three pages.