⌁ Epilogue ⌁

Thomas sat, hoping his eyes would adjust to the hot, artificial light inside of the studio. A crew member adjusted a small, pointed microphone that was clipped onto the neckline of his shirt. A crew of bustling men and women huddled in front of Thomas where the most mammoth looking cameras he had ever seen stood, raised on their pedestal. The camera people squinted, speaking affirmations into their headset intercom while peering into the camera's viewfinder.

 Thomas continued to sit there while a makeup team swept a bristled brush over his face, saying it was to smoothen any last imperfections before the program started. Thomas itched to take off that heavy foundation. He would have happily gone without it. His interviewer--British Columbia's most popular news anchor, Dan Steves--was getting the same makeup treatment. Thomas wondered how he could put up with that makeup every day.
Dan nodded at Thomas, extending a hand. He took it. "Welcome in. We're very pleased to have you, Mister Easton."
Thomas thanked him, mildly caught off guard by being addressed with his new last name. Easton. It was May's last name. He had officially changed it, signed the legal documents and all, only five months ago, before they had been married. 

It was the single most exciting day of his life, standing there, holding May's soft hands in his own, underneath the kaleidoscopic stained glass of an old, antique church May loved. All of Thomas's friends were there--they consisted of the entire congregation, minus four or five of May's friends she had recently met.  Thomas had never known any emotion that matched the range of them he felt reciting his marriage vows, kissing May's lips for the first time as her husband--it was all just the most amazing thing. The conception of marriage had always been beyond him--never in his life did he imagine he would truly fall in love. And here he was. 

Thomas looked down at the silver band on his finger, waking himself out of the thoughts of May. If it weren't for the floor director beginning the countdown, Thomas would easily have thought of May for the rest of that day. He sucked in a breath, letting it out more audibly than he'd expected to. Dan gave him a quick nod, some kind of gestured to assure Thomas. It helped. All he had to do was conjure up the script that he'd rehearsed.
"Going live in five, four, three," the director said, then began silently mouthing, "two, one."
An introductory, upbeat melody followed immediately, as it always did when the news aired. Thomas imagined the green screen behind him probably showcasing the glittering lights of the City, or some other widely used backdrop of the Seven Wonders of the World before the Flare obliterated them. 

"Welcome back to British Columbian City News, I am your host, Dan Steves on the weekly Dan Dilemma," Dan took a pause, gathering his stack of papers all while maintaining eye contact with the camera. "Today marks the two year anniversary since the Anti Flare Association--AFA--administered their first vaccines to two-hundred infected people, whom were all cured. Since then, hundreds of thousands have been vaccinated and cured every single day at AFA. Of course, this is all thanks to Thomas Easton, who we have with us tonight. Thomas, welcome in."
"Thank you, I appreciate it." Thomas cleared his throat less audibly than he'd hoped. He watched as one of the several cameras pivoted smoothly on its pedestal, the black abyss of an iris dilating, absorbing his image.

Dan continued, his expression professional and inquisitive, "We cannot begin to thank you enough for what you have done for us--for humanity."
"Thank you," Thomas said again, fighting the urge to crack his knuckles. "This has been my mission, to cure the world. And I hoped with everything in me that I would live to see that day. . . We've all experienced tremendous loss and grief, but now, things are definitely turning around and will continue turning around."
"Absolutely," Dan smiled and Thomas knew it was genuine. "I would already say that things have turned around being that seventy-seven percent of the world's population have been cured from the Flare virus. I mean, that's just incredible."

Thomas nodded, "AFA has already established forty vaccination stations throughout the world. We're still in the process of building more."
"Amazing, just amazing. I mean you being the president of AFA, that must be exhausting, to oversee all the projects and mandates?"
"Well, you just take it one step at a time, really."
Dan blew out a puff of air. Thomas understood that was a laugh. "You know you're incredibly humble for everything you've done for humanity."
Thomas chuckled, not knowing whether to shake his head or shrug. He shrugged. "I wouldn't know how else to be."

"Ladies and gentleman, we may have to elect Thomas as prime minister soon," Dan joked, then almost immediately became straight-faced again, looking at Thomas with a kind of newfound deepness in his eyes. The atmosphere in the room became eerily serious.
"We all lost loved ones due to this virus. What would you say to the ones you've lost, now that there's a cure because of you?"
Thomas shifted in his fabric, cushioned seat. He felt the literal spotlight shining down on his back, warming him. He swallowed, willing himself not to look down at his hands. Every time he thought of his late friends and parents, pain awoke inside him. Though it wasn't as strong as it once had been. "I would say that I wish they could have left peacefully, knowing there was still hope."

Silence lingered only for a few seconds, Dan nodding, absorbing Thomas's answer. Then, he sat up straighter and refocused, turning back to the camera. "After being severely manipulated by the widely known--and exposed--organization, WICKED, to surviving impossible challenges and trails, showing up at AFA's doorstep and allowing them to almost wipe you dry of blood--here you are," Dan opened his palms wide in a propitiating gesture, "your story is just incredible, Thomas. We have so much to thank you for."
"The pleasure's mine," Thomas replied, offering a genuine smile.
Dan peaked at his pile of organized papers, then met Thomas's gaze, nodding so slightly that only Thomas would be able to pick up on that cue.

Thomas looked to the center camera, conjuring the speech he had memorized for days now. This was it. "With much patience and perseverance, we will continue to liberate the Flare until it is no more than just a mere word--something our children's children will read about in their history books," he swallowed, continuing, "though this world hasn't fully recovered, it will. AFA will work day and night for all of you. We will reach all corners of the globe within time. Everyone will be cured. We can grow old now, without fearing for our lives. Peace has finally overtaken the fear."
He paused briefly again, taking in a quick breath, calming down the fervent emotions inside him. "This is a new horizon for you, for me, for us all. A new life here, let's all grab hold of that and celebrate."

*** 
Wow, so it's over. 

If you've read to this point, you're awesome. Thank you for your support of this story!

I hope you enjoyed it, as much as I enjoyed writing it! :P

Please share any thoughts you had on this story; it would mean a lot! 

Love you all (ya shanks!)

Enjoy the gif of the Maze Runner set dancing⇣

~ GourmetFandoms ♡