- 19 -

"Wait." Aris called from behind as Thomas and his friends walked to the door. Minho turned around first. "What is it?"
"I, uh, I have to go to the bathroom. One second." Then Aris rushed off, probably from the sight of Minho's irritated expression. He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "What a slinthead. While we're waiting I might as well get a snack."
Thomas watched Minho walk to the kitchenette, finding it impossible to think of food after they'd eaten a week's worth of it last night. He didn't know when he'd feel hungry again.

From the opened slider doors, Thomas could hear the faintest sounds of engines humming in the distance, almost like in Paradise how he could hear the waves crashing on the shoreline even in the furthest reaches of the forest. Thomas dug into his imagination, picturing the mass amount of life that thrived in the city. All the thrill it had to offer. Once again, that ambitious desire to discover every square inch of the city clung to him like a magnet.
"Whatcha thinking about?" Brenda asked, breaking the silence.

"The city. The world beyond this place." Thomas replied. He watched as she inched closer to him.
"Listen, about yesterday," Brenda began, taking hold of Thomas's hand. He was surprised by the sudden proximity; though he had to admit, he felt nothing when she touched him. "I'm really sorry. I don't know why I acted like that. I was just exhausted. I don't know."
"I was also exhausted, and I'm sorry for coming off rude yesterday. There's just so much on my mind. Too much to even consider--everything's complicated."

Brenda nodded, seeming lost in thought, her eyes still trained on his. "Let's just get to know our surroundings--take it slow."
Thomas agreed; taking it slow sounded perfect. All that was on his mind was finally getting to see his friends and everyone from Paradise. That was what mattered.
Aris was finally ready, and Minho led everyone to the elevator bank, munching on his leftover pizza as he did. Less than ten seconds and they were in the Lobby, which held the same scene as the day before: people were everywhere; nurses, doctors, scientists--conversing, passing by each other.

Minho weaved the group through the massive congregation of staff members, to the outside where a beautiful day awaited them. The sky was brilliant and blue, in a way that Thomas hadn't thought it could be, especially after such catastrophic sun flares. He rotated around in a circle, scoping out the full environment. Everywhere he looked, even far in the distance, that menacing iron wall towered over them. Not just barricading AFA, but all of British Columbia . . . Like one gigantic Glade. Thomas put a hand to his chest, suddenly trying to stop the fast-paced beating. This isn't the Glade. . . We're not controlled by WICKED here. It's safe. Slim it, Thomas.
He focused on the beautiful sky above as if to conjure solace, but he found very little comfort. He was only reminded of the haunting Glade, and he wondered if Minho and Aris felt the same.

The Back Hatch . . . We came in from the Back Hatch, Thomas nodded to himself, replaying yesterday's events, sure of his memory. They came in from the Back Hatch--at least that's what the guards had called it. Thomas reassured himself that there was a way out--that this wasn't a farce, some kind of trap. He had finally collected himself when Minho shouted, lighting up his nerves again. "Hey, I hear them! I heard that loud shank Frypan. Come on, follow me."
Minho didn't wait for anyone, he took off sprinting, blasting off like a rocket. Thomas joined Minho, wondering if his friend's direction was right. But at the assuring sound of voices exuding from the distance, growing closer the further they all ran, Thomas knew they were getting close.

As they rounded a corner, staying close to the perimeter of the building, Thomas saw the large crowd for himself. There they were. Everyone. The two hundred teens and adults--whatever age they were--from Paradise. They were all there. In a long, single file line, only three-hundred feet away. Outpouring floods of reassurance filled Thomas. They were all safe. And that was all that mattered.