- 54 -

The next day at AFA, hundreds lined up at the wall entrance, waiting to squeeze their way into the property where they were escorted by several guards into the dormitory that would change their lives forever.
When Thomas and May finally woke up that morning, he checked his landline, unsurprised to find that there were too many voicemails to possibly sort through. He listened to a few long-winded messages from media networks, congratulating and asking him to schedule interviews. He deleted as many as he could, suddenly interrupted by another call. This time the caller ID read AFA. Thomas picked it up, relieved that it was Doctor Owens and not some nosey interviewer. "Doctor, hey--is everything all right?"

"Everything's fine," Owens replied. Thomas could feel her smiling. "But I wanted to ask you to come to a little celebration tonight, here at AFA."
"A celebration?" Thomas couldn't imagine that in between AFA's vaccinations and press conferences they would have enough time to throw a celebration.
"Yes, it's for everyone really--even those just recently cured. You know, to commemorate you on your breakthrough."
The recent attention from everyone was something Thomas just couldn't get used to. Still, he appreciated everything wholeheartedly. "Can I invite my friends?"

***

Thomas and May snuck into AFA, running into a couple photographers along the way.
They followed the directions Owens had given them to a room called the Basement, which he presumed was an actual basement. The Basement doors were wide open, incoherent conversations spilling out of the room. Together, Thomas and May walked inside.
It was as if every guest had been waiting just for Thomas because they all instinctively turned his way, raising their glasses. Hundreds of people were squeezed into the room. In the quick scan Thomas took in, he assumed there were at least four hundred guests. Banners of congratulations and posters promoting the cure occupied every wall. The entire workforce of AFA was there. Someone began clapping, then everyone else followed.

"Congratulations, Thomas!" The sea of voices rang out. Some people threw confetti, some blew on a shrill paper horn. Thomas felt his face burn hot. May griped his hand, probably overwhelmed herself. He turned to her, not knowing what to say or how to act.
"This is beautiful," May murmured, eyes scanning the assemblage of people. Thomas's mouth formed the words he was trying to speak, his own eyes perusing the crowd for sign of his friends he invited. When a hand clapped down on his shoulder, he instinctively knew who it was.
"You shank!" Minho exclaimed, "You can save the whole shucking world but not arrive on time to your own party?"

Thomas laughed into Minho's shirt as he embraced his friend in a brotherly hug. He missed those hugs more than he thought he would. When Thomas pulled away, Jorge was next, followed by Frypan, Brenda, and Aris.
"Way to go, hermano. Way to go." Tears glistened in Jorge's eyes as he patted Thomas on the back, offering a warm smile.
"Hey," Brenda's voice chimed in followed by her knuckles that jabbed Thomas in the arm. Her face was compassionate, friendly. Her eyes flickered onto May and she offered a smile, though it was small. "Thanks for inviting us. How are you feeling?"

"Overwhelmed. I can't believe all this," Thomas replied, gesturing wildly at the streamers and strobe lights and all the other elements that adorned the room. "Oh, and thanks for coming."
"You think we'd turn down the opportunity to celebrate the most awesome shuck we've ever known?" Minho clapped Thomas on the shoulder again, knocking him into reality. When he didn't reply, Minho went on commenting about the chandelier and the upbeat, electronic jazz that played coolly in the background. Thomas was so overwhelmed with such gratitude and admiration to see his friends that his heart burned.

All around him, dozens and dozens of people began walking up to him, contributing their praise. Everything felt so surreal, so foreign and novel. For several minutes straight, Thomas shook hands and hugged bodies he didn't know. And in that instant he knew that he would be forever proud. Not of himself, but of the accomplishments he'd never imagined the world would experience.
When the throng of doctors and nurses--and every other guest who shared their thanks--walked away, Doctor Owens was back at Thomas's side. His friends gave them space; Thomas watched as Minho wrapped an arm around May as he walked away, pulling her into the group like he'd known her as long as anyone else.

"I don't want to sound like another broken record," Owens said, her expression amiable and lighthearted, like she was no longer a white-collared doctor, but instead something of a mother-like figure, "but congratulations, Thomas. I truly, truly mean it."
"I truly appreciate that. Thank you."
"I hope you enjoy the celebration. You deserve it. Now, if you'll excuse me," Owens bowed her head, showing him a soft, silently proud smile. Her hand slipped off of his shoulder the moment she walked away, meeting with a group of nearby nurses who waved her over. Thomas sighed, emotions boiling inside of him. He needed air--anything to be alone from the noise and party ambiance. Just a couple minutes to himself.

Thomas found a door and walked outside, finding a bench situated in front of a small fountain. The subtle trickles and bubbles of water put his nerves at ease. His mind needed rejuvenation; the kind of sustenance that he could only get from being alone. Outside, the sky was beginning to accumulate into soft shades of yellow and creamy orange as dusk grew closer. It was beautiful, like some kind of omen.
Thomas breathed in the cool air and began doing what he did best: thinking. Contemplating all the latest emotions that had filled his heart and mind. The sadness, the utter relief, the passion for life, the gratitude. He searched the confides of his soul.

Thomas recalled all the thankfulness and love he had received. He recalled all the faces of the infected, who were now cured--the brilliance and humility that bubbled up inside of them. He thought of his late friends--of Teresa and Newt and Chuck. If only they had known, if only they were beside Thomas right then. He grinned ruefully. A bittersweet pain pierced his insides; would he ever really mend? If mending meant forgetting, he never would. Memories were memories. All Thomas really wanted to feel was gladness. Tears swelled in his eyes. Tears of happiness and joy. Tears that burned with the excitement of a new horizon. To Thomas, it felt like his friends were sitting right beside him. Smiling with gratitude. And everything seemed right. Everything seemed beautiful like how life should have been all along--without suffering.

A brand new chapter in a brand new life, devoid of pain and heartache. Families would be bound in love and not fear, optimism would blossom throughout the streets, people would learn to trust again, to embrace each other. Thomas's smile grew wider. He believed with his whole heart that life would become right again.
Footsteps sounded behind him and a soft hand found his shoulder before he could turn around. "Are you alright?"
It was May. She sat down beside Thomas before he was able to answer, leaning her head against his shoulder.
He nodded, kissing the top of her hair. "I just needed some time. I feel good, though. Really good. Better."

May inhaled, rubbing the hair on his arm. "Minho wanted me to come find you. He says he wants to toast to you."
Thomas laughed; that sounded like what Minho would do. "Well, we shouldn't keep the man waiting, right?"
May kissed his lips, never disappointing in her show of affection. He adored her for it. "Well, after all, this is sort of your party."
Thomas pulled May closer to him. It was something he imagined his father doing to his mother. His knew then that his life was complete. He had May. He had a cure. He had his friends, gone or alive. He had hope.

Thomas closed his eyes, imagining how wonderful life would become for countless others, and how wonderful his own life would become with May, and all the many wondrous moments they would share in this blissfully new life. It would be beautiful.

 It would be beautiful