[ t w e n t y f o u r ]

t w e n t y  f o u r
m i d n i g h t

THE SHERIFF TOSSED THE FOLDER ON THE DESK, SHOWING THE GROUP THE PICTURES OF THE WEREWOLVES HE HAD IN THE CELL

They were in for murder.

"I'm not letting them out," insisted the sheriff, making Amelia cross her arms in front of her chest. "We've got two bodies covered in slash marks. They confessed to killing two people."

"Hunters," argued Scott.

"People, Scott," the sheriff defended. "Self-defense or not, they're still here, the other guys are dead. And there's a process I have to follow."

Isaac looked at Amelia. "Lawyer, care to step in?"

Amelia narrowed her eyes a bit. "I never even made it through the front door." She sighed before stepping forward. "Sheriff... you know what's happening around here. It's not safe for them to stay."

"This may actually be the safest place for them in Beacon Hills," he corrected and Amelia pressed her lips shut. "At least I can protect them here."

Lydia patted Amelia's shoulder a bit. "Keep going. You're doing great."

"Uhm... would Stiles think that?" She asked and the sheriff frowned. "Especially if one of your Deputies is working for Gerard?"

The sheriff shook his head a bit. "I'm not buying that. I know these deputies like the back of my hand. I know their families, their kids, their brothers and sisters. I know who they are and I trust them."

They all looked at Amelia again and the girl exhaled. "Stop looking at me."

"You know who they were," Liam corrected, surprising Amelia. "There's something out there. Everyone's afraid. And it's getting worse."

The girl pointed her index finger towards Liam before nodding. "Yeah, you can't protect two werewolves from hunters if they're already on the inside."

The sheriff looked towards the girl that had been shot by the deputy. She was sitting on a chair, staring at her fingers. She looked terrified.

"It was Quinn, right?" She nodded. "You're sure it was a deputy who shot you? Absolutely, 100% sure?"

The girl nodded again before talking. "I saw flashlights. A police car. I... I saw a badge, a gun, and they they shot me," she said, firmly. "They shot me in the head and that's all I remember."

The sheriff breathed deeply before looking at Amelia, who was apparently now representing the girl. "There's a couple holes in her story."

Amelia raised her eyebrows. "Maybe because there's a hole in her head."

Malia let out a laugh at that, making everyone look at her disbelief as the girl shut up immediately.

"I'm sorry," she apologized and Amelia exhaled before looking back at the sheriff.